Have to tell someone....

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Hey everyone. Wanted to share today's experience with you all. Consider myself to be a novice rider.... Horse owner for 18 months... First horse ISH, 14yo chestnut mare. Bonkers... Killed my confidence completely. Totally over-horsed, but took me nearly 12 months to admit it and do something about it. Seller saw me coming!!! Sold!!! Second horse, 14yo ID x Cob gelding. Was a driver... owned for almost 6 months. The love of my life (after OH of course (maybe lol)). Currently riding at weekends only as work full time, and then not every sat / sun dependant on weather and hunt being local ( he gets a bit excited!). So anyway, today I took him out for a nice long quiet hack. We met all my worst nightmares and he coped superbly... In fact better than me!!! We started out on a quiet lane... Could hear a motorbike getting closer and closer... Came at us round a bend at minimum 60mph.... Me ( in my thoughts ) omg omg omg omg what will happen... Him... Yeh whatever... Didn't even flinch! Local (very big) horses ran at us at speed as we passed their field.... Looked, but again YEH whatever! Onto the bridle path, and a Jogger ran alongside us over a (very noisy) wooden bridge as we went through a fairly deep stream.... Nothing. Into a little village, little shettie in a field full of ponies again ran at us at great speed in a very threatening way.... Nothing.... About 15 Lycra clad cyclists came from behind... Head up, ears forward, didn't give a monkeys... Bridle path back in direction of yard.... Big grey and rider - stopped, had a good look, and passed without hesitation even though grey tried to turn its backside to us and got very agitated... Then going through some very deep mud lost his footing up front... Went down on both knees.... Got back up, stood stock still while I sat back up off his neck, and then took me home. What an absolute babe.... Is it any wonder I totally utterly and completely adore him???? He had a banana as a special treat this evening for being such an amazing and special boy. I am so very proud of us... and am in total awe of him... This time last year just the thought of getting aboard my mare made me shake viiolently!!! Hope you didn't mind me sharing

Spiritedly

Visit site
Well done you and him :D. When you lose your confidence little steps to some are giant leaps to others! Next time you feel the nerves coming on remember today and smile :)

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Thankyou Rose and Cally... Yes he's just amazing... I think I can trust him completely! Absolutely worth his weight in gold x

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You've got a horse there that will look after you so look after him. Treat him to a pair of knee boots as major injuries can occur when a horse trips & falls on their knees. You can save a load of heart ache & vet bills by this small investment of around £10 on ebay. :)

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Well done you and him :D. When you lose your confidence little steps to some are giant leaps to others! Next time you feel the nerves coming on remember today and smile :)

You're quite right Spiritedly... My riding has come on leaps and bounds since I bought him. The very first time I sat on him ( after seriously considering giving up my new hobby (riding) as a bad job at 47 years of age ) all my nerves just melted away and my confidence bounced back tenfold! :D

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
You've got a horse there that will look after you so look after him. Treat him to a pair of knee boots as major injuries can occur when a horse trips & falls on their knees. You can save a load of heart ache & vet bills by this small investment of around £10 on ebay. :)

Thanks Toby... They're on my shopping list for tomorrow :)

traceyann

Visit site
After riding my Tb whos very sharp and you allways thinking ahead its nice to get on one of my trusty horses and chill and not have a care in the world.

Abbeygale

Visit site
Awww bless him. He sounds like a little star. My welsh d x girly looks after me like that too! We had a mahousive articulated lorry come past us 3 times yesterday, and all on a little B road. She didn't turn a hair at it!!! However, when we had to walk past it as it was parked up she then had a good old look at it - but only after checking there were no cars coming!!!

My theory with my girl is that we work as a team - whatever I'm not sure about she looks after me, and when she's not sure I look after her. I would lay my life down for that horse, and I think she would do the same for me :)

Herts05

Visit site
Well done to you both and great to hear a happy thread. Hope you have lots more fun hacks as it sounds like you have a fab partnership
Congratulations also for taking the decision to move on from your previous horse. I wonder how many people are going through hell with a partnership that isn't going well rather than changing horses. It is meant to be fun after all.....

maree t

Visit site
What a star. I have lost my confidence and after my last precious boy died I havent ridden much since. I am toying with the idea but would need to find one just like yours
Enjoy

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Just saw this and thought what a diamond you have there. You lucky, lucky woman. Horses like him are worth their weight in gold, they put the fun in riding and the more you ride them, the better they become.
Look after that boy, he's special. :D

Ps, if you do decide to go for knee boots, invest in leather ones. They're expensive but the cheap one's will not give full protection. I don't use them unless the going is slippery, but they can be handy during the winter months on the roads.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
What a lovely post to read. I'm sorry I missed it yesterday.

We've had several ride & drive horses, they are reliable in almost all situations. I always recommend r&d horses as 1st horses/confidence givers, especially for the ,err, 'more mature' rider.

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Hahahaha thanks everyone for your lovely posts!!! He is absolutely a diamond.... Incredibly special and I love him to bits. HR thanks for the tip re the knee boots, I will definitely invest in some leather ones! My children have grown up now and more or less b*ggered off, so I have plenty of time to love and look after him.

Maree T don't give up!!! It's one of the most rewarding things I've done in my life and is definitely worth persevering with.... You just have to find the right one! Where are you? If local come and have a sit on him and we'll take you for a wander round the lanes :)