have you ever got a 2nd opinion from a vet?

tillyd

Visit site
Hello

Has anyone on here ever had to seek a 2nd opinion from a vet other than their regular one?
I am worried about my horse's check ligament injury and the way its healing, and because am fairly new to the area I'm in, have no experience of the vet I'm using.
I'm wondering about getting a 2nd opinion from a vet I know of and would completely trust their opinion, but it seems a big slightly scarey step (I'm never one for upsetting the apple cart!!)
How worried do you think I should be before I think about speaking to another vet? I am a natural worrier, I freely admit, but this is now causing me sleepless nights! And how do I go about it? - does my current vet have to know?? help!

flea

Visit site
Have never been in a position where i have had to do this, but think i would always put my peace of mind and animals welfare before worrying about offending someone. The vet you go to for second opinion may need your horses previous records, so cant say other vet wont find out, but im sure this kind of thing happens fairly regularly and they wont take offence, just part of the job

dozzie

Visit site
Its your horse and your money so you can go to whoever you like. However the vet you ask to do the second opinion should ring first vet to ask their permission if they follow the protocol!!

mandy4727

Visit site
I did with an old pony of mine. But the second vet wasn't too happy that I didn't tell them I had had another vet. I did it that reason to see if they would give me the same diagnosis.

History. Pony lame on both front feet intermittantly. No history of this at all. Vet 1 came and nerve blocked and xrayed fetlocks and knees. Said could find nothing wrong. Stick her in the field for 6 months and the rest could do her good and get them back then if still lame. Not happy with this at all. Got "normal" vet. The first one was someone recommended. Second vet took her in. Xrayed, took shoes off, nerve blocked again and diagnosed navicular. Egg bar shoes, navilox and bute. And turned sound and stayed sound until her death last year from heart failure. Which again I had a second opinion for. Vet 1. My normal vet came out as she had odemea under her tummy. He did bloods etc and listened to her heart and said the only thing he could find was a high white blood count which would suggest an infection and gave her antibiotics. The swelling got bigger and bigger and she struggled to breath aswell. Got someone elses vet out and straight away he said he was sorry to tell me it was heart failure and she could have 3 days, 3 weeks or 3 months. As it turned out it was 3 days. She went down hill so quickly I had her pts after owning her for 27 years. She was given medication for the last 3 days and she did perk up and seemed much better but the 4th day we just knew and there was nothing in her eyes. So in both instances I was glad I got a second opinion. Even thought the 2nd one meant I lost her at least she wasn't suffering. This is when I found this site and have made so many friends since then. I was just googling horse odemea and found HHO.

brightmount

Visit site
I got a second opinion on my horse's lameness after about 4 months under my usual vet with no clear diagnosis. I was encouraged by several other people at the yard to get a second opinion, and my insurers backed me when I phoned to ask if I could go ahead with this.

It was slightly awkward because the two vets knew each other, but it was quite civil and professional, and I haven't been treated any differently by either vet since. The vet from whom I got a second opinion presented all his findings to my vet, and the referral he recommended also had to come from my vet, He was also keen to hand me back to my vet at the earliest opportunity so it didn't seem like he was poaching a client.

As a result of the second opinion, it did result in a diagnosis that led to proper treatment and the horse subsequently recovered well.

showjump

Visit site
Yes i have. This was also regarding a injured Check ligament. My local vet scanned it and couldnt find anything wrong with it, so said some of the outside fibres must be damaged. She told me to walk for two weeks, then build it up slowly. I did this for 3 weeks, but it was no better, still swelled and warm.

After sleepless nights, like you worrying, i booked him in at another vets.

We took him, and explained that i was not happy about the leg, and other vets ect. Other vet was fine with this, and scanned his leg. He found a huge hole in his Check ligament. And injected it so it could start to heel and reduce swelling. He was on box rest for a month.

We went back two weeks ago (month afer being injected) and the hole was completely gone from one view, and only just a faint outline on the other view of the scan. He can now walk, and trot on hacks for 6 weeks.

I am so glad i seeked another opinion, just wish i had done it sooner. If i had of done it sooner we would have been much further along the path to recovery. I will no longer use the other vets. At the end of the day, its your horse, your money and your decision, if you are not happy dont hesitate to get a second opinion.

So i went into off about my horse, but our situations are so similar.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I did!!

My vet didn't like it as they had to refer me but i put my foot down and they agreed.

There is not much they can say as its your horse and your the ones that paying at the end of the day.

catherinep

Visit site
Yes...I have. You can find vet 2 and they will contact vet 1 on your behalf and say that owner has requested a 2nd opinion and/or you can tell your vet that you feel that you want a 2nd opinion. I have never had any problems and my vet was fab about it - fully respected my wishes and provided necessary background for vet 2 to make an informed opinion without replicating un-necessary tests.

In the event, vet 2 made some useful suggestions, and provided a report for vet 1, and then vet 1 and I were able to make a plan that both really felt committed to. It worked well and I never come across any medical person (animals or people) who have had a problem with asking for a 2nd opinion - but do be honest with all sides and then they can make background info available etc.

Good luck!!! and don't give up until you have a diagnosis that you feel comfirtable with and a treatment plan that you beleive in.

Catherine

tillyd

Visit site
thanks so much everyone - you've really helped. I think I am going to bite the bullet and do it - if I don't and it all goes wrong with her leg I will always regret it. I know lots of people at the yard will think I'm being paranoid and ridiculous, but hey, what the heck. If the second vet does end up agreeing with the first vet well then that's all to the good really I suppose.

Showjump - thanks for your story - sounds so similar. That's exactly why I'm worried - there's so much heat and swelling in her leg, and I know I can expect some as it heals, but I'm just not happy with this much! Seems to go against everything I know to carry on working through it! Hope yours carries on making a good recovery.

catembi

Visit site
I have, twice, & not regretted it.

The first time was for an ID mare who was 6 & lame in front. 1st vet said arthritis in fetlock joints (without doing any tests), you're stuck with it. Limped on with zerobute etc for another 9 months. 2nd opinion - pedal ostitis. Eggbars + Navilox = sound.

Same mare - behaving like a stallion, trying to sh*g my old mare, v aggressive. Same 1st vet - high spirits. Wouldn't even come out. Different 2nd vet scanned her - tumour on ovary. Surgery to remove it, was the size of a football & weighed 15 lb.

You could always 'blame' yourself to the first vet & say you're v paranoid & a great worrier, & you trust them, but it would make you feel better if you...etc.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

Vicster1

Visit site
I have and my mare wouldn't be here now if I hadn't !!

It's a long story, but I wasn't happy with the treatment the original vet was giving her, or her progress, so called another vet. Make sure you explain the situation, don't just call them as the 'first and only' vet. My second vet came out, the horse taken to his hospital, and they operated and saved her. Hoorah!!

The second vet did phone the original vet and inform them of what was going on.

Hope this helps!

serena2005

Visit site
i would totally reccomend getting a 2nd opinion if you are unhappy about the 1st.

when my horse had a bad kick in the field the 1st vet said he had broken his pelvis and not to move him another step.

i was a bit confused and very worried, when i got another vet out he was shocked 1st vet said this and showed me how to test to see if he had anything wrong with his pelvis, which there wasnt. it was just alot of muscle damage.

so i would get another opinion. good luck

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I did it before Xmas. My usual vet came out, wasn't sure what the problem was but had an idea, and wanted to send horse away for further tests. I wasn't happy with how I felt the vet had treated him, or that he'd spent enough time and been thorough enough. So, I spoke to my insurance co who agreed I could get a second opinion (potentially they were looking at paying out over £1000 in diagnostic alone if I took first vets advice). I then found a different practise I felt could help, called them and told them the full situation. I told them what my usual vet thought, told them I wasn't convinced the horse needed to be sent away etc, and that it was agreed by insurers.

Called usual vet's office to cancel an appt and to tell them I'd gone for second opinion...got a very angry phone call from usual vet. In the end I was honest with him, told him I hadn't been happy with my horse's treatment and the vet's manners etc (!!) and he came round to my POV. Horse went in for second opinion, problem diagnosed, operated on in Jan and now sorted.

I'm pleased I had the second opinion as it meant I didn't have to send him away for a week to be looked at, and it also put my mind at rest as to what it was (usual vet had suggested it might be XXX, second opinion said it definitely was and got two others vets to look at him whilst there, so I guess I had 4 opinions in total!). Insurance co were fine, paid up for all of it, and usual vet is fine now. Rings me every now and then to check horse is ok and no hard feelings. At the end of the day you need to do what's best for your horse and your vet will understand that.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
It tends to be best to be up front. I got a second opinion before and then changed vets! But I think the way it has to be done is that you tell your existing vet that you are concerned and you therefore want a 2nd opinion. Then go to the other vets and explain that you need a 2nd opinion from them. In my opinion if the 1st vets are pretty good then they wont have anything to worry about or mind!