Have you ever had puppies?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
People are amazing that I’ve never in my life had the experience of a litter of puppies.
Whilst we had a dog, a bitch in fact unspayed as kids my mum wasn’t really doggy so it was never even considered.
In my adult life we got a dog first because it was last of the litter, subsequent dogs have overlapped so we always went for another dog. I had one bitch but she was 9 and spayed when I got her.
I can honestly say as much as I love puppies it’s not something I’d ever even think about doing.
Someone recently asking to use our lab, and actually Cecil (different person!) as studs.
The answer to both a resounding no.
Obviously Cec is a little x breed. Spud is a gorgeous lab but he’s not health checked or registered.
I couldn’t sell puppies, I also can’t bear the thought of one of my boys fathering pups that I would have no control over.
Id worry the rest of my life, or at least that of the puppies life span about where each one was and what it’s going.
I felt both bitch owners I turned down were a bit offended.
Why do people breed and think it’s ok to breed litters for no reason?
OH thinks I’m being unfair saying no. I know I’m not. It’s something I feel very strongly about.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I hate it. My male sired a litter of ten. Mine is a feisty bitch, I know where four of the others are and I lie awake worrying about the rest and get paranoid when I see anything remotely similar popping up in rescue. And I don't even own the mother/didn't raise them.
All health tested and worked several generations back, up to international level.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I hate it. My male sired a litter of ten. Mine is a feisty bitch, I know where four of the others are and I lie awake worrying about the rest and get paranoid when I see anything remotely similar popping up in rescue. And I don't even own the mother/didn't raise them.
This reply makes me feel better at being so tight on my decision.
Sorry that you are in that situation. I just know it would really really bother me.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I had a few people ask to use Oscar as a stud when he was younger. Always got a firm no from me too. It seems like a lot of responsibility, unlike breeding one foal (which I would do, with the intention of keeping it, if the opportunity presented itself). All those little lives to consider!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I was randomly handed a dog to look after for half an hour the other day. Someone came up to me to ask if it was an entire male as they were looking for a "cute" dog to mate with their bitch (full disclosure it wasn't a breed that appeals to me anyway but really did not think it was a good example of cute). It was slightly awkward when I said I didn't know the dog's name or sex, and that I didn't think it knew me well enough to start investing the balls situation ? turned out it was a bitch anyway.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
This reply makes me feel better at being so tight on my decision.
Sorry that you are in that situation. I just know it would really really bother me.

It was only because of covid and the female couldn't travel. The health tests and working ability are super and we're already thinking about the next generation but they can't all be brilliant and it's the others I worry about.

SAujla

Visit site
I would never ever breed Clover, not even giving it a seconds thought. She isn't spayed yet so people think I will breed her but I won't. One of her sisters has had her first litter in April

I think some people want an "oops" litter for the money from selling pups and not having to pay for health tests. There is a park near me that has a reputation for having bitches in season there.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Yes , I bred several litters , usually when I wanted to keep a puppy to show and keep my line going . I hated the actual whelping , so much can go wrong, but loved rearing pups . I was lucky as most owners kept in touch and more recent litters were sold with contracts . It’s lovely when people come back for a second dog several years later. I had a gap of nearly 10 years without a litter, and bred my last one 10 years ago . Again I wanted a pup to keep , and had several people waiting for pups. However I decided that would be my last litter as I did find it harder to find the right homes , and I also realised my situation meant it would not be so easy to take a dog back should the need arise.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Yes we have, spaniels (some years back) and two litters from our late lab. I can’t remember regarding the spaniel breeding but the lab was fully health tested as were the two different dogs she went to. We kept a bitch from the second litter and would have loved to breed her to keep the line going but she never took. The alpha bitch was an exceptional worker, lovely person and also a good looker - she won her BASC class at Crufts. We are hopeful that our current KC bitch, who is a phenomenal worker with a tremendous nose, is in pup to a dog we bred from our second litter. OH is hopeful for a small litter, and we will probably keep two and one for the owner of the stud dog.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes , I bred several litters , usually when I wanted to keep a puppy to show and keep my line going . I hated the actual whelping , so much can go wrong, but loved rearing pups . I was lucky as most owners kept in touch and more recent litters were sold with contracts . It’s lovely when people come back for a second dog several years later. I had a gap of nearly 10 years without a litter, and bred my last one 10 years ago . Again I wanted a pup to keep , and had several people waiting for pups. However I decided that would be my last litter as I did find it harder to find the right homes , and I also realised my situation meant it would not be so easy to take a dog back should the need arise.
I assume you had a pedigree and bred sensibly. Also the fact you had homes waiting makes it better. A good friend asked and we said if we could guarantee a littler of 2 we *might have considered it. The reason being to keep one each purely as pets because I love her bit h and she loves Cecil but I’m reality we’d not have done it. Both are x breeds and the only 2 to a litter guarantee Is obviously zilch.
I do get the breeding bloodlines thing. We are on our 3rd lab from the same breeder and lines and I love that Spud is the same lines as our first ever family dog.
It’s just not something I could handle myself. The thought of bringing up a litter is really lovely though. Playing with a whole litter of tiny pups is really special.

kathantoinette

Visit site
Yes, 12 years ago. Labradors. We bred to keep the line going. Kept two from the litter - dog and a bitch. Got the dog castrated and kept the bitch entire with the intention of breeding from her. Her hip scores were way too high so that’s the end of the line now. She’s still with us but we had the dog pts a year and a half ago.
I was picky where the pups went and if I didn’t like the sound of the home, I said so.
I’m not sure I’d want to breed now and feel I was responsible for finding suitable homes.

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes we have, spaniels (some years back) and two litters from our late lab. I can’t remember regarding the spaniel breeding but the lab was fully health tested as were the two different dogs she went to. We kept a bitch from the second litter and would have loved to breed her to keep the line going but she never took. The alpha bitch was an exceptional worker, lovely person and also a good looker - she won her BASC class at Crufts. We are hopeful that our current KC bitch, who is a phenomenal worker with a tremendous nose, is in pup to a dog we bred from our second litter. OH is hopeful for a small litter, and we will probably keep two and one for the owner of the stud dog.
Again sensibly bred. We do need your kind of breeders to keep healthy dogs going so you don’t count ?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I assume you had a pedigree and bred sensibly. Also the fact you had homes waiting makes it better. A good friend asked and we said if we could guarantee a littler of 2 we *might have considered it. The reason being to keep one each purely as pets because I love her bit h and she loves Cecil but I’m reality we’d not have done it. Both are x breeds and the only 2 to a litter guarantee Is obviously zilch.
I do get the breeding bloodlines thing. We are on our 3rd lab from the same breeder and lines and I love that Spud is the same lines as our first ever family dog.
It’s just not something I could handle myself. The thought of bringing up a litter is really lovely though. Playing with a whole litter of tiny pups is really special.
Ha yes , should have clarified, pedigree , well bred and fully health tested . I would never breed without both parents meeting that criteria. And yes it is wonderful having your line going back several generations and having people coming back more than once over the years . I still have people contacting me now looking for my line .

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Yes, 12 years ago. Labradors. We bred to keep the line going. Kept two from the litter - dog and a bitch. Got the dog castrated and kept the bitch entire with the intention of breeding from her. Her hip scores were way too low so that’s the end of the line now. She’s still with us but we had the dog pts a year and a half ago.
I was picky where the pups went and if I didn’t like the sound of the home, I said so.
I’m not sure I’d want to breed now and feel I was responsible for finding suitable homes.

Presume you mean too high , lower the better with hips and elbows . I’m s sad when that happens despite parents having good scores , but that’s livestock breeding .

Clodagh

Visit site
I’ve got 5 bitches and they are KC registered, well bred, from health tested parents and work well. All spayed. I just couldn’t bring maybe ten pups into the world and not know where they ended up. Labradors are a dime a dozen, if I particularly like one I can buy a close relation. I’d be like CC and worry myself sick about them.
In some ways it’s a shame as Pen, for instance, is exceptional. But her full sister, a spitting image, will have a litter and I’ve got my name down. Much less hassle, although I’ll never be rich!

Spotherisk

Visit site
We have just worked out that we know where eleven out of the fourteen in the two lab litters is, and we could get in touch with them almost immediately. The second litter is eight years old now - before puppy WhatsApp groups!

It was very lovely that the breeder of our bitch bought back one of her pups, so he had grandmother and grand daughter together.

Moobli

Visit site
I briefly considered it with my bitch (she’s KC registered and health tested) but I’d worry too much about finding enough of the right homes despite having a list of people who’ve said they’d like a pup from her. Also an even bigger worry would be something happen to her during whelping and she die. I’d never forgive myself. The rearing of a litter I’d enjoy, but not enough to outweigh the stress of the rest of it.
My dog sired a litter of ten four years ago and I’m in touch with every owner and it’s lovely to hear how they’re all doing. Much less stress owning a stud.

Last edited:

Apercrumbie

Visit site
We had a litter so we could keep one pup and enjoy the experience of having them. They were so gorgeous but it is very unglamorous having a litter of puppies - we were constantly cleaning up wee & poo and probably perpetually stank for weeks. Saying goodbye to the pups who left (to brilliant, very carefully vetted homes) was just awful. Having seen them all sleep in a pile all together for 8 weeks, I realised how horrendous the first few weeks in their new home must be, learning to sleep alone having never left their siblings. That was the part I found the hardest.

Also, the mum picked up an infection at c. 6 weeks which the puppies all then got. It was so scary seeing them so poorly and if they had been any younger we would probably have lost at least one or two. We were so lucky not to lose any pups at any stage - you do have to be prepared for that eventuality, and of course the possibility of losing the bitch too.

Overall it's a wonderful thing but very hard work and not to be entered into lightly - we wouldn't have done it if we weren't confident about finding the right homes for them.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
The litter my bitch was from went a bit early for me, but both mother and the owners were completely fed up with the little shop of horrors ;) the other five are probably fine, but it's officially none of my business and I just remember how much hard work he was as my first working dog, nothing prepared me for it and I could see why people would get freaked out by things I now shrug off.

And yes the first week or so with mine being from a big litter was quite difficult...I slept in the hall, with headphones ?

Thistle

Visit site
I have a pedigree working Fox Red lab, he's good looking and a great worker. He has good working lines. He also has a fabulous temperament and is also a great house pet with a good 'off switch'. He's competed sucessfully in working tests.

I had his eyes, hips and elbows scored, mainly for my own interest, at 16 months. The scores were all excellent so I had DNA tested too. This came back as clear for over 200 conditions.

I made the decision to use him at stud, because I felt that his genes should be passed on as he's such a fantastic dog. HOWEVER I don't do it for the money, (Of course I charge a stud fee and use a contract) I'm really fussy and turn down more matings than i accept. So far he's had 5 litters with another due this week. He's 6 years old.

I don't follow up on pups etc, although dog does has a fb group which I ask puppy owners to join if the want to.

I'm so particular about the bitch owners, as well as the actual bitches that I feel I can trust them to sell responsibly.

My son has one of the pups.

I also now own a fully health tested young lab bitch, I chose her lines carefully to be a good match with his, between them 3 grandparents have won the International Gundog League Championships. If her health tests hadn't been good enough I had decided that she'd be spayed once she was old enough. My trainer says the young bitch has an exceptional brain, I only actively train her occasionally as she picks things up so quickly I don't want to push her too fast.

I will breed them in the summer after she's 2 probably (next summer). I've never had a litter of pups but have experienced friends on call and an excellent vet nearby. I already have a waiting list for pups from this planned litter and will certainly keep one.

satinbaze

Visit site
I have bred two litters and hope to have a litter later in the year. My girls are fully health tested are of excellent temperament and have all been successful in the show ring and train for obedience agility and previously working trials. I only have a litter when I want a pup to keep and I currently have a list of prospective owners who all want to wait for a pup from my girl. I carefully select the sire not only to complement my girl but also considering future litters.
I recently noticed that 1 top winning show cocker spaniel (not my breed) has sired 80 litters, I can see this causing issues for the future as it will mean very few lines without him in the pedigree.
As for actually rearing puppies it is stressful and very tiring but also very rewarding, especially when you get complimentary comments on your homebred.

Birker2020

Visit site
there are something like 17,000 healthy dogs pts every year in the UK and in America : Each year, approximately 920,000 shelter animals are euthanized (390,000 dogs and 530,000 cats). The number of dogs and cats euthanized in U.S. shelters annually has declined from approximately 2.6 million in 2011. This decline can be partially explained by an increase in the percentage of animals adopted and an increase in the number of stray animals successfully returned to their owners.
https://www.aspca.org/helping-people-pets/shelter-intake-and-surrender/pet-statistics

Absolutely shocking figures, we need to all do our bit and stop breeding dogs.
We need to rescue instead. A lot of these dogs in shelters are pedigree dogs people don't realise.

satinbaze

Visit site
there are something like 17,000 healthy dogs pts every year in the UK and in America : Each year, approximately 920,000 shelter animals are euthanized (390,000 dogs and 530,000 cats). The number of dogs and cats euthanized in U.S. shelters annually has declined from approximately 2.6 million in 2011. This decline can be partially explained by an increase in the percentage of animals adopted and an increase in the number of stray animals successfully returned to their owners.
https://www.aspca.org/helping-people-pets/shelter-intake-and-surrender/pet-statistics

We need to rescue instead. A lot of these dogs in shelters are pedigree dogs people don't realise.

As much as I admire those who rescue a dog and I support breed rescue, if nobody bred a litter then there would be no more dogs. Responsible breeding is what is needed

BallyJ

Visit site
We have been planning to breed from our Lab since we bought her with the hopes of keeping a puppy, however have decided against it this week.
I would be far too fussy with where the pups would go and it would devastate me if we lost contact and something happened to one (ended up in a rescue etc).

If we could ensure a litter of 1-3 pups then I would do it tomorrow but the thought of needing to find homes for 10pups is a huge task and not one i think should be taken lightly, we are in the fortunate position that we would be happy to take any puppies back - but once they've left how would you ensure that the new owner got back in touch if they needed to re-home?

Thistle

Visit site

I couldn't compete in working tests with an unreg rescue. I buy carefully bred pups from health tested parents and will breed the same. There is a strong market for my breed. However I do also have 2 rescue dogs as my way of keeping the balance.

skinnydipper

Visit site

I don't agree.

We need responsible breeders who health test and breed for the betterment of the breed.

What we don't need are backyard breeders and people who create behavioural problems in dogs and then dump them. And you can add to that the people who have unrealistic expectations. A dog is a dog, it will behave like a dog, it is not a child substitute or furbaby and it doesn't come ready trained. People need to realise that they need to put a bit of work in and not throw the towel in at the first sign of a problem and expect someone else to pick up the pieces.

Last edited: