have you ever heard of

xapplex

Visit site
i was told today by a dairy farmer, that he puts gold fish in his water troughs. He said that the goldfish eat the algi and keep the troughs clean. would you ever consider doing this....??

lauzbeefy

Visit site
i used to keep fish in my first ponys water trough to help keep algae at bay.

the man i used to help out had a fish that was 10 years old and had always been in his pony's water trough.

no idea if there are any implications though. lady never seemed to mind them being there!

lauzbeefy

Visit site
haha that reminds me i did freeze a couple when id forgotten to top up the trough as lady was away on her holidays...whoops

Vizslak

Visit site
yep i put my goldfish in the trough at farm years ago its huuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggge now and keeps the trough very clean!

D

Donkeymad

Bloke I bought my donkeys from keeps goldfish in his troughs, and they are very big. Personally, I'd prefer to use a hessian bag of barley straw.

marlyclay

Visit site
Hang on it's not April fools day is it?Blimey i am an old fart and have been around since the 60's but i have never heard of anyone keeping goldfish in their water troughs before!You learn something new everyday on this forum.What about the fish pooping in the water though or do you shove corks up their bums to avoid the build up of fishy poop?
smirk.gif

Hippona

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hang on it's not April fools day is it?Blimey i am an old fart and have been around since the 60's but i have never heard of anyone keeping goldfish in their water troughs before!You learn something new everyday on this forum.What about the fish pooping in the water though or do you shove corks up their bums to avoid the build up of fishy poop?
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very small ones......
grin.gif

Halfstep

Visit site
Yes, I've heard of it and my friend used to do it. It did work. The fish stay too low for the horses to swallow and they do grow huge. They keep the troughs quite clean, but you have to keep an eye on them and scoop them out if they die!!!