Have you ever regretted selling a horse?

Dovorian

Visit site
...and if so, did you do anything about it. By that I mean did you try to buy it back? I'm tempted, well, more than tempted but a little voice keeps telling me not to start ...!

brightmount

Visit site
Yes, my first ponio but the girl who has her is lovely and spoils her rotten! And she's at the same yard, so it doesn't get much better than that! I also shared for a while.

I had to sell for financial reasons due to our other horse getting written off from a kick injury. When I think who could have bought my pony, I can't believe how lucky I was.

Croeso

Visit site
I have with a few of my horses, being a stud you have to become hard but mine where
my first welsh cob basil, then my stallion Tyhen
a few mares too
I have contracts with all the buy mine that I get first refusal 80% stay in the home I sell too and the few that have come up for sale most of time I buy them back & rehome them!

you have to go with your heart and not have any regrets in life!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
YES! My friend and I sold Jeremy Fisher (our lovely dun cob) for financial reasons in March 2006. He was sold immediately to a lovely home and has continued his successful showing career (4th at HOYS this year - hooray!). I have been trying to buy him back for the past 3 months, but she just won't sell him to me! Think he has a home for life there ...

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
OHHHHH YESSSSS, 1 x fit show cob, sold him as a family horse he just sits in field and they see him once a day to stuff him with more food, what more can i say, OH YEAH and the fact the bounced their cheques to start when purchasing got my account closed down as they clear for a while and got me charged over 300 in bank charges, Yes got money eventually from another family member but shouldnt have had to go through that, Hence i even sell anything now a days i WONT do cheques, i trust NOONE, and i will not remove the item from sale until it is paid for in CLEAR funds, once bitten twice shy !

Halfpass

Visit site
I wouldn't say regret just wished I hadn't needed to. Sold my horse in October knew it was the right thing todo but just wish I could have afforded 2!!! He is a lovely home now and they know if they ever needed to sell him i'd have him back like a shot. Also have regretted not buying a loan horse when it was offord to me. In hindsight it would have been a good thing to do! Ahhh well not much I can do now.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Yes, my beautiful Ella. I sold her because my instructor at the time said I was too big for her (she was 14’3hh), not too heavy just too tall. I wish I hadn’t have listened! Saying that she is in a wonderful home where she is being used and enjoyed (get regular e-mail updates).
I’m hoping Bodey is going to be a wonderful replacement. If she ever did come up for sale (which I don’t think she will), then I would definitely want her back!

Bossanova

Visit site
Didnt even sell him, gave him away. Was the only thing to do at the time, if it had been this year, there'd be no way he'd have gone anywhere!
All I can do is hope that his new owner gets somewhere with him and realises his potential. If ever a horse had potential, he did!!

teapot

Visit site
He wasn't mine but pony I was sharing back in April/May is now up for sale and I'd do anything to have him
frown.gif

Mel85

Visit site
I sold mine in Feb and have regretted it ever since. He was back on the market in the summer (he was very tricky and quirky, talented eventer, but not anyones ride) and I was SO tempted to buy him back, but decided I had to distance myself. Now not only do I regret selling him - I regret not buying him back when I had the chance!

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
I sold my gelding as he kept going lame when jumped so had to be sold as a hack. Wish id of kept him as a big pet now though, id do anything to get him back.
Not even sure of his whereabouts now
frown.gif

Dotilas

Visit site
My mum once had a warmblood who we had purchased from a riding school as a quiet hack and he turned out to be a dressage superstar -half pass etc. Extremely well schooled.

When we took him to do a little unaffiliated prelim test, he went beserk. He began to buck and nap badly, and started to weave chronically. My mum is quite nervous, and was ill with stress at the time and just could not cope as he was a fairly large horse and was becoming scary.

Now I think that I never rode him more than a couple of times, and think maybe if i'd have ridden him for her, I could be competing at 2* events... And now I'm stuck with a knackered old ex-race horse who is too dangerous to jump. I would definitely buy him back, but could never afford him!!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I sold a horse very cheaply because she had fairly regular bouts of low-grade colic. I wish my friend (whom I'd wanted to give her to) had been able to take her then because now she's going very well for the girl who bought her but tried not to pay me
mad.gif

Nic

Visit site
My Mum sold my 13hh pony & he was gone before I got back from work, I broke my heart over him.

The new owner left a phone number & vague address, I must have left a hundred messages but she never got back to me.

I have no idea where he is or if he is still alive
frown.gif

Sold my 14.1 to a family who turned out to be too inexperienced for him(he takes the piss when being led) bought him back last June
grin.gif

sojeph

Visit site
YES!!!!!
frown.gif

My shettie's mum Caenn Sophie. Has been sold on from who I sold her to
frown.gif
and have lost contact.
Anyone know her ?(would have her back tomorrow)

sof-sof.jpg

She'll be about 10/11yrs old now

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've been the 'Big Bad Wolf' several times selling my daughters ponies from under them. We had tears, silences, evil looks etc but she is now an adult & realises that it had to be done. All went to lovely homes & each sale actually made money due to the work put in on them. The money was always put back into the next horse. Now as an adult she has a lovely horse that has a great jump & can do a lovely dressage test.

Without the selling on as she outgrew them & actually making money on each sale she would not have the lovely horse she has now. He's increased greatly in value since we've had him but he is here to stay, he's everything she wants.

I'm no longer 'The Big Bad Wolf' all has been forgiven as she now appreciates that if you wish to progress you must do it.

No I would never entertain buying a horse back, once the decision is made that's it.
smile.gif

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
No, am curious as to where & what horses i've had might be doing, but TBH they all got sold for a reason, everything i've had in the last few years has been dead when its left, so if i could reincarnate a couple of those i would, esp a very smart novice chaser, thankfully haven't needed to sell a horse for any other reason that out grown or needing a quieter life, so not had to make any tough descions

regalrendezvous

Visit site
YES!!!!

I sold my QH X Appy (to a lovley home) he was just such a unique horse, so full of personality. I regretted it as soon as i saw him leave in the float. I couldn't afford to buy him back now as he is doing C grade EFA (1.20m +) *Sigh* i love the horse i have now, he is special as well but...of all the things i regret. Selling my horse Cassidy is deff. up there as one of the DUMBEST things i have ever done.

At least he has a lovley owner who loves him and will never sell him on.

You know the band who played the song 'love is in the air' well the bass player from that bought my horse Cassidy for his daughter. They are lovley people
laugh.gif
but still
frown.gif

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Yes - I REALLY regret selling Chester - I think about him a lot!
frown.gif

Chester
I believe he's with the daughter of a race horse trainer in Melton Mowbray - If anyone knows him please let me know!
smile.gif

Kate x

Tia

Visit site
No I don't regret selling any horse. I found the best possilbe homes for any that have been sold and once I make my decision, I know it is the right thing to do.

I do however miss some of the horses I have sold in my life - but I wouldn't buy them back. They are all in loving, caring homes.

filly190

Visit site
I had an ex racehorse that nearly killed me. She was beautiful but unrideable. I had back, saddle, vet, sent away for schooling etc etc and still could not ride her. She just reared. I seriously thought of putting her down because she was unsaleable and a friend begged me to give her a second chance and give her to a dealer.

I did give her a dealer who promised me she would be pts if they could not do anything and after a few weeks stopped taking my calls to ask how she was getting on.

To this date, I have no idea what happened to that mare and I worry that I did the wrong thing and she may have been passed off as a decent riding horse, when she was mental and I mean mental.