Have you ever seen this as a sign of Laminitis? ..

Eaglestone

Visit site
Not weight bearing on a hind leg and picking it up high :confused:

Vet has been to see him, but somehow I would have thought that if he was suffering on all 4, then he would not favour the front feet to be weight bearing over the hind??

Eaglestone

Visit site
Stifle problem? One of our ponies very occasionally gets a locked stifle and he can sometimes snatch his hind leg up when picking out feet. Certainly no expert, but just thought I'd throw that in to the equation.

Thank you :) ... funnily enough he had a minor op on this Stifle, as it used to lock, but that was about 25 years ago :)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Thank you :) ... funnily enough he had a minor op on this Stifle, as it used to lock, but that was about 25 years ago :)

Well you never know - if it was once a weakness, now he is older maybe he's getting twinges in it. Our pony can be funny about us grooming in that area even when there appears to be no physical problem. Poor thing - hope you work out what it is. x

Eaglestone

Visit site
Well you never know - if it was once a weakness, now he is older maybe he's getting twinges in it. Our pony can be funny about us grooming in that area even when there appears to be no physical problem. Poor thing - hope you work out what it is. x

Thank you and yes these ponies are funny little things at times, aren't they :p

cptrayes

Visit site
On what basis did your vet diagnose laminitis in one hind leg, as opposed to the much more likely alternatives of - a wrong trim; an abscess; a bruise; a recurrence of his stifle issue???

amandap

Visit site
Is that the only symptom? Laminitis worse or evident only in hind hooves is far from uncommon. I have seen my pony lift her front hooves high and hold them up alternately in a severe laminitis attack in the past. She does have one front hoof generally worse than the other too.

Eaglestone

Visit site
Is that the only symptom? Laminitis worse or evident only in hind hooves is far from uncommon. I have seen my pony lift her front hooves high and hold them up alternately in a severe laminitis attack in the past. She does have one front hoof generally worse than the other too.

It's looking more like it will be Laminitis then, sadly, and I doubt I can pull him through again :(

Dogstar

Visit site
Don't panic yet; I have been convinced several times that my laminitic has it again but touch wood its been something else minor. What is the vet doing next? Even if it is laminitis he could well be OK. Keep us posted. Good luck x

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
My friends horse had an abcess in his hind leg for ages, vet reconned he was compensating in the way he was walking/holding himself and consequently kept putting his stifle out, happened few times. Saddly he didn't recover from the abcess, the infection got into his bone and he had to be pts

Britestar

Visit site
Is he one to gallop about? My rising 30yr old came in last year on three legs, holding a back one. Initial thoughts were abcess, but nothing could be found and it never came to a head.

X rays revealed a fractured pedal bone. Not a clue how, assume it was from charging around and standing on a stone? I decided to do nothing, apart from bute, and kept putting her out with her friends. 4 months on she was barely lame and by 6 months back to full galloping.

Could you get him xrayed?

Tammytoo

Visit site
That was my first thought, but not the diagnosis, sadly :(

Vet did feel that as he is 30 and has never had an abscess before and only just been trimmed, then it is highly unlikely :rolleyes:

I am still not convinced, either way though :confused:

Just because he hasn't had an abcess before, doesn't mean he will never get one! and having just had his feet trimmed wouldn't show up an abcess if it was high up in the foot.

I agree with you - I would not be entirely convinced either.

amandap

Visit site
I've been thinking and my pony prone to severe laminitis has never has an abscess that I'm aware of and has never had typical abscess slits in her hoof wall from abscesses bursting at the coronary band. My understanding is that abscesses are fairly common in laminitis though. Just an observation of no real use to you.

I hope he is improving Eaglestone. x

Eaglestone

Visit site
Thank you all for your help and advice, it is all very much appreciated :) and I will be reading again, with interest.

My favoured Vet attended today and is convinced it is an abscess, so l am poulticing and hot tubbing. He really appreciated that and relaxed so much. She does say that he is suffering from Laminitis though, as well :-(

He is on paracetamol, as she said that the Danilon would not touch an abscess.

Very coming again tomorrow, so will give an update.

ETS To have a Vet that you trust explicitly and your horse does too is such a relief - Motor was still in pain and holding his hind leg up, but he allowed Vet today to do whatever she wanted ( but did have an opinion about it ... he is a fighter :p )

Last edited:

amandap

Visit site
Very coming again tomorrow, so will give an update.

ETS To have a Vet that you trust explicitly and your horse does too is such a relief - Motor was still in pain and holding his hind leg up, but he allowed Vet today to do whatever she wanted ( but did have an opinion about it ... he is a fighter :p )
That's better news. :) Fingers crossed it bursts soon.

dilbert

Visit site
Fingers crossed. You can feed the homeopathic remedy silica (sp?) for abscesses, I bought mine from natural horse supplies.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Is there any news on your old boy? I have my fingers crossed for you. I lost my old mare to lami a couple of years ago and I know how horrible it is.
I hope you have good news.

Eaglestone

Visit site
Thank you all for your kind wishes, it is so nice to know people care :)

Also thank you for all you thoughts and suggestions.

Well, there is not a lot of progress really, but Motor is doing ok. He has not picked his foot up at all today, although he is still holding it further forward than the other hind.

He is on lots of meds now :mad: .... 1 Danilon / 8 Paracetamol / 2ml Sedaline, twice a day, together with his 2mg of Pergolide. Apart from the Danilon, all of it is syringed in and he is quite happy to do that :)

Vet saw him on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Following Vet not being able to find an Abscess, she advised to stop poulticing, as this would allow the foot to get too soft and would not be good for a possible Laminitic foot. But to continue tubbing, as he clearly got relief from it.

He does not want to bear too much weight on it though.

Vet is coming tomorrow, as I have requested the foot be xrayed.

However I am now intrigued about a further development. I clipped all his feathers off tonight, as I want to be able to feel for his DP easier and I found something 'interesting' on his sore leg ........

2012-02-23180109.jpg

What do you think?