Have you ever worked out how much you've spent in purchasing your horses?

SpruceRI

Visit site
Was talking to a friend the other day about the number of horses she's got and how much they all cost to buy (purchase price, not vetting and assoc. costs) - and we sat and worked it out.

Mine have cost £11,750 over 27yrs, and that's for 11 horses and ponies.

Out of the 8 my friend currently has, she's spent £35k and purchased them in the last 7yrs or so.

We thought that one day we'd try and work out how much we'd spent in keeping them. Scary thought!! ;)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Probably close to even. Parents bought my mare when I was 10 as a 2yr old. Had a horse I bought as a project for peanuts & fell for, but had an accident & was pts. Other projects I always sold for more than I paid. Other horse I had for me I had to sell when pregnant & went for same sort of price I paid. And daughters pony cost a tenner.

loz9

Visit site
£4,800 for 6 over 10ish yrs (altho 1 was a freebie! & of the remaining 5 one cost me £2,700 so the last 4 combined only cost £2,100!!) plus the cost off breeding my boy who was £300 stud fee & a mountain of further costs! dont think thats too bad really!

SpruceRI

Visit site
£4,800 for 6 over 10ish yrs (altho 1 was a freebie! & of the remaining 5 one cost me £2,700 so the last 4 combined only cost £2,100!!) plus the cost off breeding my boy who was £300 stud fee & a mountain of further costs! dont think thats too bad really!

That's pretty good too!

loz9

Visit site
That's pretty good too!

I'm actually quite impressed with it! I have never worked it out before & its a pleasant surprise. Downside tho is that 2 of them were bought at 6mths & another at 10mths so had to spend a fair few pennies on them before I could actually ride them, so guess what I saved on purchase price will have been swallowed up on their keep, & thats a sum I'm definately not going to be calculating :D

Echo24

Visit site
So far, £500 and I haven't even got one yet! Spent money on vettings only for horses to fail them, (I took an instructor with me and someone experienced but vets picked up underlying things). I hate to think how much it will cost me when I finally buy one!

millitiger

Visit site
I think its about £20,500, just on purchase prices.

On 11 horses.

Doesn't account for how much I got when I sold 9 of them though! ;)

unbalanced

Visit site
£1000 on the pony I got when I was fourteen, thirteen years ago. I put in £997 which was all the money I had in my savings account (birthday, Christmas and pocket money from 'saving up for a pony') and my parents chipped in the other £3. Oh yes and they also paid for her to be vetted, and transport home, and paid my instructor to come and view her, and paid her keep, which in my head I was paying because I handed over the £7 a week I got from my Saturday job. Didn't really think about any of that at the time. But I still have her. She is much better behaved now.

TheoryX1

Visit site
Had first pony on loan, so nothing, but for my cob, who I have owned by 8 years, Mini TX's second pony and Mini TX's eventer, I would not get much change from £20k. However, thats nothing compared to how much I have spent on my spoiled ponies ever since and they are worth every penny.