Have you taken a horse to Ireland?

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
If you ever have, can I ask what your experience of the actual procedure was.

You turn up at the ferry terminal with your lorry or trailer.....and then what?

Does anybody ask any questions about the horse? Do they ask to see the horse passport, or the horse itself, do they want to check the horse for freezemarks or microchips?

All input here very much appreciated.....

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I used to do this every week a few years ago so some things may have changed due to passport legislation but.........................

Get to port in plenty of time, you'll be weighed then told which lane you must go in and park up. We were not asked to produce passports then but you might now, they just needed to know how many horses on board. Check horses, go for a coffee! When you're finally on board (you'll have very strict instructions down to the last inch!) check horses again as quickly as possible, I mean minutes, five at most, including sorting out ventilation. depending whether trailer or box, we would fasten top doors so they would let air in, same with ramps on a lorry, would open them then twist fastener so they couldn't shut or move; would also open windows where safe (so nothing could jump out!) we'd turn lights out in horse area as plenty of light from the decks then go upstairs to the Trucker's Lounge for grub!! Don't forget to take all your passes with you else you'll lose out, you can't get into the TL without your trucking passes and you won't be allowed back down to get them! None of ours travelled with boots, bandages or rugs (mostly mares and foals or youngstock but not even with older horses) as it gets quite stuffy even in winter.
They won't let you travel with them, all decks are locked, so if you need (really need) to visit you must find a steward who will have to get permission to take you down, stay with you and bring you back; they take security very seriously) There are staff down on the deck and if there was a problem they would call you so don't worry on that score.
On unloading you'll probably be asked to pull in and customs will check you over. As I said, we were never asked to produce passports but they were very concerned about the health of any horse coming in (unlike this country who couldn't give a damn - from Ireland anyway, slightly different if flown in from abroad). On the way out of Ireland, we would have to have a vet check before we could leave too; can be a bit hairy when ferry is blowing its' hooter and vet hasn't arrived yet!!

Hope you enjoy your trip, have lots of happy memories from those times and would do it again like a shot!

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Thanks everyone, Mfh09 that's a brilliant detailed description, must have taken you ages to write, it's exactly what I needed, cheers. So the horses are vet checked when they reach Ireland. Would that apply to a lorry load of ponies do you think? Are the horses scanned for microchips?

Nooo, I'm not going anywhere.....I'm doing some research connected with stolen horses and ponies being taken out of the UK to Ireland, you can probably all see what I'm getting at here.

cheers. G.

coffeeadict

Visit site
Vet checks take place on the Irish side - if travelling to destination other than UK or France. This vet check is arranged when export licence is applied for. There is NO vet check for horses travelling to UK - only passport required. There used to be a vet check on each lorry leaving Ireland - but that stopped about 3 years ago.

There are very occasional spot checks at docks by vets - for horses entering the country. You will just be asked how many horses you have on board. There is no other check.

Passports can be checked at any time in either country - as passport laws the same. Horses must have a passport during transit.