Having a bit of a wobble!

oldie48

Visit site
Rose is just lovely, she's not push button by any means and she takes a bit of riding to keep her up in front and on the hind leg but she is very classy. Me, I'm old, pretty stiff in the lower back, got a bit of a chair seat (which I don't think I can change) and having looked at some recent vid, could double for a sack of potatoes. I've got a couple of long arena tests on Saturday, let down by a friend so going on my own and having a bit of a wobble. thinks, probably won't remember the tests, won't ride Rose well enough,just feeling really wobbly about my ability and why I am out competing. I always joke that i keep my confidence in a colander, have to keep topping it up or there's none left. Im sure I'm not the only one to feel like this from time to time but!

blitznbobs

Visit site
So what if you’re not perfect? You’re out competing and hopefully having fun. The one things for certain that this is the youngest you will ever be so get on with it and do the best with what you’ve got - if you come last it’s not the end of the world and I doubt you will having seen the vids in the past ... it’s aboit being the best you rather than comparing yourself to others

oldie48

Visit site
So what if you’re not perfect? You’re out competing and hopefully having fun. The one things for certain that this is the youngest you will ever be so get on with it and do the best with what you’ve got - if you come last it’s not the end of the world and I doubt you will having seen the vids in the past ... it’s aboit being the best you rather than comparing yourself to others
I like the "youngest you will ever be" what a great way at looking at getting older and no you are absolutely right it doesn't matter if I come last. thanks, I'll try not to be so bloody wet! x

sky1000

Visit site
I have so loved your posts with Rose. You are doing so well. You will be fine without your friend. Who knows how it will go? And what does it matter really? When I look back to my earlier life, what I mind about is how much I worried about everything! Go you!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I like the "youngest you will ever be" what a great way at looking at getting older and no you are absolutely right it doesn't matter if I come last. thanks, I'll try not to be so bloody wet! x

That's the spirit!

As for the 'chair seat', could your saddle be causing/influencing this?

Fiona

Visit site
I'm kicking your bum, go and do it, and have fun x x

Book some lessons afterwards if you have something specific you think needs addressed..

Fiona

still standing

Visit site
I spent the whole of last week worrying too! I took my new horse (well I've had her over a year now!) to a weekend competition and all the time beforehand and each day I was stressing: will she do this or that? Or what if she won't do this or that? In fact she was great, not perfect of course, but fine. So I wish now I hadn't wasted all that mental energy worrying. My advice would be to just get on with it, you've done the prep now give it a go! I'm sure you would be sorry afterwards, if you decided not to go, so think of that and do it. And Good Luck!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think anyone would worry about remembering 2 long arena tests, but it is only a minor worry. I would make sure I knew the first test, then find someone while you are there to read the second. I am sure someone will.

Even if not, if you forget the second one, you are not hung, drawn and quartered! The judge simply rings the bell to call you over and reminds you what the test is. Happened to me many times. We both lived to tell the tale.

I even missed a festival qualification with a long arena blip. I missed by a tiny percentage of a mark, having had an error of course. Even that did not bother me, I was so proud of my horse and we had a lovely day out, no worries.

BTW - you have been a heroine of mine. Taking a long term out of work horse and simply getting on with it and enjoying the process. I would not even have dared buy one that was out of work, and you did and have been fine.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
If I were closer I’d step in as a companion...I am hand holding a lovely competent twenty something at a comp in the near future because she’s having a wobble...so it affects us all..which is why I don’t compete! I think you are over thinking..go and enjoy and let us know how you get on.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
we're all right behind you :)
I am competing on Saturday otherwise I'd have volunteered to read for you. But it will all be fine, Rose is a good egg, you are competing because she's a lovely horse and you're enjoying her so shows are part of that, she won't mind if you end up making a mistake because she won't know, and the judge won't mind either because it just happens from time to time.

On Saturday evening when you're sitting in the garden with a glass of wine you'll wonder what you were worrying about, and already planning your next trip out safe in the knowledge that you can do it all solo if you need to :) x

Hollychops

Visit site
As others have said, you have a lovely horse, you enjoy riding her and you are getting out and having fun with her. It doesnt really matter if you make a mistake, you are doing more than those watching on the side lines.

Just enjoy yourself (and report back on here how it all went) :)

oldie48

Visit site
Thank you for your replies, having slept on it I feel a bit more positive. I think it's the long arena thingy that's bothering me as it's quite difficult to get the diaganols in the correct place for both tests but your right, no one will die if I make mistakes!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
:D and you won't be the only one with that problem either :) I'm still waiting for the day when Kira doesn't attempt to shorten a long diagonal by drifting to the track, lol! :eek:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No, I wish it were that simple, tight hips, forward rotated pelvis and long from hip to knee, so structural really agravated by age related stiffness. I've got exercises to do but tbh I just never seem to find the time!

If it were the horse who had been given exercises to do to help stiffness, would you find the time? Of course you would! So you need to do the same for yourself.
If it helps, look at it that you are doing your exercises in order to make the horse more comfortable under you. I bet you'll find time then.

I sympathise with your problem, my hips are quite tight as a result of age and plenty of falls over the years. I bought an i-joy rider to try to help with that and I also have physio exercises which don't get done very often - I should take my own advice!:)

JFTDWS

Visit site
What's the worst that can happen? You get a duff score, go wrong, whatever... Doesn't mean there won't also be good points - getting out alone is a good point in and of itself, before you consider nice moments in the test or the warm up. The tog might snap a nice picture. And failing all that, you can always get chips (/burger / waffles / whatever delightfully calorific junk food is available at that venue), and that always makes it worth a trip out!

oldie48

Visit site
What's the worst that can happen? You get a duff score, go wrong, whatever... Doesn't mean there won't also be good points - getting out alone is a good point in and of itself, before you consider nice moments in the test or the warm up. The tog might snap a nice picture. And failing all that, you can always get chips (/burger / waffles / whatever delightfully calorific junk food is available at that venue), and that always makes it worth a trip out!
Ha I always go on my own, it's the first time I have asked a friend to come with me to call which I think is symptomatic of my wobble. Anyway onwards and upwards!

Tarragon

Visit site
Go for it, I say! and well done for being the sort of person who is going out and competing.
I must admit that this is one of the reasons that I ride my Exmoor ponies - the expectation of your general riding abilities starts at a much lower level if you turn up riding a hairy pony :)
In my dreams, I turn up on my pony and then go on to amaze everyone with a flawless dressage test/X-country/show which puts all the other rider's on their beautiful WB and SH to shame ... as it is I don't often put myself in the position where I am being judged and, if I do, just about meet the expectation of a 50 something year-old riding a pony ;)

Joyous70

Visit site
Go for it, be happy your out and about doing something with your horse, enjoy yourself.

Im having a wobble too, feeling pretty pants about it all right now, riding, jumping, loading, my riding in general, im going to spend some time at the weekend practicing our loading! i really wish i could be out and about but far too wobbly right now, so your doing miles better than me

JenniD

Visit site
As the others have said, enjoy yourself and the day. The experience will be great for both of you. If you make a few mistakes so what? If you do really well - and I expect you will - that will be the cherry on the cake. Either way you can't lose!

VRIN

Visit site
There is always someone who will read the test for you. Don't forget we are doing this because we enjoy it and what would be the alternative?

Have a lovely time and let us know how you get on.

Remi'sMum

Visit site
What a lovely thread! Overflowing with positive vibes!!

Oldie, you’re fab and so is she! Go out and enjoy your day, whatever it brings. Enjoy being out with your lovely mare, doing what you do. The world won’t end if you make a mistake and Rose certainly won’t care. If everything was perfect all the tine, we’d never learn anything new.

Best of luck and lots of positive vibes coming your way. Let us know how you get on please x