Having a bit of a wobble!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Go for it, I say! and well done for being the sort of person who is going out and competing.
I must admit that this is one of the reasons that I ride my Exmoor ponies - the expectation of your general riding abilities starts at a much lower level if you turn up riding a hairy pony :)
In my dreams, I turn up on my pony and then go on to amaze everyone with a flawless dressage test/X-country/show which puts all the other rider's on their beautiful WB and SH to shame ... as it is I don't often put myself in the position where I am being judged and, if I do, just about meet the expectation of a 50 something year-old riding a pony ;)

But we go to Camp & have a whale of a time!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Summerhouse.
Was hoping you’d say Hunters or something mega close! I’m working on and off all over the BH weekend so doubt I’d have time to get to summerhouse. Possibly though. Do you want to pm your times/day and I’ll see if I can wangle it?

oldie48

Visit site
OK so I went! Rose was a bit naughty in the warm up but I kicked on and she did a decent test (or so I thought). Sadly we were in last position which really knocked me as I thought the test was OK. Dithered about doing the novice as the prelim was so poor but went in to the warm up and then managed to talk myself out of competing. This is why I needed someone with me a) to read the second test and b) to kick me up the a... So I withdrew. got my test sheet back and realised the % must be wrong so got it remarked. I got 68.4 and was 7th missing qualifying for Stoneleigh by 0.25% she broke in one of the canters and we got a 5!
So I have decided to only deal in positives from now on. I didn't back off when she napped and bucked in the warm up. tbh I don't think this is pain related I suspect it's more related to her seasons but I am on the case and it really wasn't too naughty, nothing like the buck that gave me a flying lesson when she was very sore. We did a decent test, got a good score and I was very pleased with her. The judge's comments were spot on and really helpful.I've identified what we need to work on and have strategies for. When she's nappy, she won't bend round my right leg, goes out through the left shoulder and goes crabby. This is not a new thing but I need to be able to deal with it more quickly and get her back on side. My downward transitions are unbalanced, partly because I'm unbalanced, partly because she doesn't want to carry herself, canter to trot is very ugly. Work in progress. I ahve also posted on my FB page to see if I can find a friend who will come with me for a few outings to read my tests (I struggle with two, particularly long arena) and to give me a kick when I need it. So I am pleased i went and want to thank you all for telling me to get on with it, if I hadn't posted I know I would have chickened out!

oldie48

Visit site
Was hoping you’d say Hunters or something mega close! I’m working on and off all over the BH weekend so doubt I’d have time to get to summerhouse. Possibly though. Do you want to pm your times/day and I’ll see if I can wangle it?
Sorry was busy getting Rose on the lorry so didn't seee this but thank you for offering, perhaps another time or if I go to Hunters?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Fab report and well done both of you. I wish I was close enough to come with you, I am in my 50s and lack any motivation to do anything other than hack, which I love, but do sometimes wish I did more. Its mainly due to a lack of a riding buddy and its just not as much fun on your own. Could do with a likeminded bod to give me a kick up the bum, so I absolutely applaud you for just getting on with it

oldie48

Visit site
Fab report and well done both of you. I wish I was close enough to come with you, I am in my 50s and lack any motivation to do anything other than hack, which I love, but do sometimes wish I did more. Its mainly due to a lack of a riding buddy and its just not as much fun on your own. Could do with a likeminded bod to give me a kick up the bum, so I absolutely applaud you for just getting on with it
Thanks does feel a bit lonely at times though and when I'm nervous I blather away to anyone who will let me. A bit embarassing really!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
well done, a good day considering how much you were dreading it. pity you are not nearer to me as i love helping people at shows as i cant do it anymore.....

On the Hoof

Visit site
WEll done and a great report. Let me know if you go to Summerhouse again as Im only half an hour down the motorway, just had other plans yesterday so couldn't offer to help.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry was busy getting Rose on the lorry so didn't seee this but thank you for offering, perhaps another time or if I go to Hunters?
Absolutely. I’m a bit rubbish at calling but happy to provide moral support and grooming help x
Well done though, very brave I’d have chickened out all together!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Oldie, I wished I lived nearer, I do everything solo too.
I could help and read for you, you could return the favour, but sadly am too far away.
I too suffer wobbles, current fuzzy is at v novice level but slowly improving, but days like yesterday were one where I could have done with a chum! Just xc schooling, our 1st one together, her 1st one ever. A few very large cat leaps had instructor amazed at how I stuck on, I'm too bloody old and stiff to think about hitting the deck!

Keep at it m'dear x

oldie48

Visit site
Oldie, I wished I lived nearer, I do everything solo too.
I could help and read for you, you could return the favour, but sadly am too far away.
I too suffer wobbles, current fuzzy is at v novice level but slowly improving, but days like yesterday were one where I could have done with a chum! Just xc schooling, our 1st one together, her 1st one ever. A few very large cat leaps had instructor amazed at how I stuck on, I'm too bloody old and stiff to think about hitting the deck!

Keep at it m'dear x
Just been speaking to a friend with the similar problem, goes eventing on her own and got bucked off at her last event and it's knocked her confidence. Her horse is clearly not right, so she's got another thing to worry about. I have just spent a little time going through the BD mag, reading about the chimp paradox, think my chimp needs to get off my case! Anyway, aslo went through all the local comps with a view to planning my next outings. Thansk for your reply, it is appreciated. x

chaps89

Visit site
Oldie - well done and going out there and doing it. If it makes you feel better, I can't 'get' long arenas - the instructor I use for my share horse is an ex-international rider yet has the dubious pleasure of teaching me and having to say things like 's- that's the one by the trees in the corner' and so on. Mortifying! You've done such a fab job with Rose as well, I love reading your posts :)

TFF - if you ever want a pair of hands/caller/someone to supply fags/chocolate/gin/whatever morale booster of choice yours is(!) feel free to drop me a PM. I'm local and happy to help out if I can.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Thanks Chaps, but having done 4 tests in 3 weeks, I'm now done with stressage except for schooling at home, the last test was soooo much better than the other 2, but judge made a few pissy comments that were rather unwarranted about it. I was happy how B Fuzzy had improved tho. One rider even had: much more training required to meet standards, this was a unaff walk and trot test!
Give me hurling over some jumps anytime lol 😂

chaps89

Visit site
4 tests in 3 weeks, are you some kind of sadist?! :p ;)
I am both horrified and giggling at the rider requiring further training for an Intro, that judge sounds delightfully encouraging :oops:

Equi

Visit site
I dont do ridden competitions (yet) but i often have the same wobbles before a show inhand. How i am getting over it slowly is to tell myself why am i competing? If for you it is just fun, then go just have fun! I compete for fun, i enjoy showing, but i am not out there to make a name or sell my stock its just all round good fun! Go out and enjoy it for the reason you want to.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
4 tests in 3 weeks, are you some kind of sadist?! :p;)
I am both horrified and giggling at the rider requiring further training for an Intro, that judge sounds delightfully encouraging :oops:
Lol, 2 were at same comp 😂
A friend was writing for the judge, she was horrified at what she was asked to note, anything that wasnt TB or lightweight was heavily marked , but friend gave a lot of feedback to organisers after, I suspect that judge wont be invited back!

Bernster

Visit site
So there are lots of good things about that outing then which you can add to the confidence bank. I’m prone to allowing my inner negative voice/chimp get the best of me and have to really think about turning it into positives. Had a disappointing outing on Sat and struggling to get much good out of it.

Your update still sounds quite harsh on yourself so I’d def recommend looking into some brain training. The chimp paradox is often recommended although I didn’t get on with it, but there also nlp stuff and other recommendations on this forum. I did a confidence brain training course and, if I remember to use the tools, it really helps. It def helped me on my journey back to jumping confidence and I’m far less nervous now than I used to be. I even manage to sleep ok the night before competitions!

oldie48

Visit site
So there are lots of good things about that outing then which you can add to the confidence bank. I’m prone to allowing my inner negative voice/chimp get the best of me and have to really think about turning it into positives. Had a disappointing outing on Sat and struggling to get much good out of it.

Your update still sounds quite harsh on yourself so I’d def recommend looking into some brain training. The chimp paradox is often recommended although I didn’t get on with it, but there also nlp stuff and other recommendations on this forum. I did a confidence brain training course and, if I remember to use the tools, it really helps. It def helped me on my journey back to jumping confidence and I’m far less nervous now than I used to be. I even manage to sleep ok the night before competitions!
Blimey I thought my update was quite upbeat! I am thinking about some kind of brain training, having read a little about the chimp paradox I thought I might get the book. Sorry that your outing was disappointing, horses/competing can sap confidence so easily. Someone in an earlier post asked why I compete? I guess it's to measure progress and I like to do well, however, I do joke (although actually I'm quite serious) that I have chosen a hobby for which I have no natural talent so it was always going to be a difficult journey. How are you going to move on from Saturday? Having read lots of your posts I always imagine you to be an upbeat sort of person, someone who can deal with the odd knock or two and take it in your stride. Perhaps Saturday was one of those occasions that you just bin and forget about?

Abi90

Visit site
I think you did really well! I get the wobbles going anywhere, especially if I go on my own as my horse doesn’t load without someone walking behind her on the way home.

Oh and we currently always seem to come last!

{97702}

Visit site
I often read your posts but don’t usually comment - I’m so sorry I didn’t read this one before, Summerhouse is literally just down the road from me & I’m OK at calling tests 😊 give me a shout if you ever need anyone again, I’m only in Newent so it’s about 20mins max for me 😊

oldie48

Visit site
I often read your posts but don’t usually comment - I’m so sorry I didn’t read this one before, Summerhouse is literally just down the road from me & I’m OK at calling tests 😊 give me a shout if you ever need anyone again, I’m only in Newent so it’s about 20mins max for me 😊
Thanks, that's really kind of you. I have given myself a good talking to and am busy planning my next few outings. Are you around in the week or is it just weekends/holidays? Thanks again! x

{97702}

Visit site
Thanks, that's really kind of you. I have given myself a good talking to and am busy planning my next few outings. Are you around in the week or is it just weekends/holidays? Thanks again! x

Usually weekends and holidays but I can get time off in the week with a bit of notice - I don’t need any excuse not to be in work 😄 Summerhouse, Hunters, Kings, Hartpury, Allen’s Hill, Moore’s Farm are the venues within easy reach for me 😊 x

ponynutz

Visit site
Being perfect isn't a must! Being amazing FOR YOU is. You can only do your best and people will recognise that! Good luck :)