Having a tricky patch...

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Hello everyone,

Having a tricky patch with my horse... my fault... so hoping for some words of wisdom / encouragement.

I’ve had her a few months and keep her at home. The fields are super lumpy bumpy with years of mole hills. I’m not brave enough to drive a trailer / lorry (and would need to do my test), so mainly limited to hacking distance.

In hacking distance (35 mins away) is a dressage centre. So I decided to give dressage a go... starting from scratch. We’ve been having lessons and done a couple of tests. The problem is we now seem to be going backwards rather than improving. First dressage test was 64%, second 59%. We were starting to work in a consistent contact and seem to have lost that. Last lesson was a bit of a disaster, feedback from my instructor was basically I should be able to do it. And struggling with nowhere to practice other than lessons, when hacking on neighbours fields - or a long hack to hire their school (which i can’t do after work and is used for comps at weekends).

The horse is better than me. So it’s a case of me needing to improve. It’s also about building trust and a partnership.

Hubby is also feeling a bit neglected as gone from a semi-retired horse to trying to ride 4 or 5 times a week to keep my horse fit. And often end up working late. So need to balance things better.

The worst bit is I know I have a lovely horse and am very lucky. Just feeling a bit stuck and want to ride her better.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Can you roll and harrow a school sized piece of the field to practice in?

I think we missed the magic window when rolling / harrowing works. We’ve had a go with the quad - a chain Harrow and one of those water filled rollers. The field is quite bad - some of the former mole hills are now 50cm plus mini hillocks!! We have just under three acres for my horse and mini Shetland, so can’t give up too much grass (and on clay). Wondered about getting it landscaped flat...

be positive

Visit site
Can you roll and harrow a school sized piece of the field to practice in?

This would help give you somewhere to ride and cut back a bit on time although you can do a fair bit on hacks once you get the feel of what you want.

Secondly you may not have gone backwards in the test results, marks will vary for numerous reasons and are not always a reflection of how things are going.
Thirdly find an instructor who will be more supportive, being told you should be able to do something is not much help even if it is true being told it is going to knock your confidence when it already sounds fragile, we can all ride better than we do but most of us require some positive support to improve.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Secondly you may not have gone backwards in the test results, marks will vary for numerous reasons and are not always a reflection of how things are going.
Thirdly find an instructor who will be more supportive, being told you should be able to do something is not much help even if it is true being told it is going to knock your confidence when it already sounds fragile, we can all ride better than we do but most of us require some positive support to improve.

Thanks for the reply :).

Test issues which dropped marks were contact and horse was spooking at the boards. So solvable. And obviously plenty else to work on - particularly suppleness on both reins.

The instructor is only option in hacking distance... so it’s her or no lessons...

Mule

Visit site
Thanks for the reply :).

Test issues which dropped marks were contact and horse was spooking at the boards. So solvable. And obviously plenty else to work on - particularly suppleness on both reins.

The instructor is only option in hacking distance... so it’s her or no lessons...
Contact is not easy. It can take a long time to get right. I definitely wouldn't get disheartened. Trust me that everyone has struggled with it :)

I would try reading lots. Dressage today is a good site. There's also a dressage rider (Amelia Newcombe) with really helpful videos on YouTube.

Next time you have a lesson I would ask your instructor what exactly you should and should not be doing. Ask her to make it clear. Good luck with it :)

catkin

Visit site
This may be completely inappropriate as only you know your full situation. Apologies if it is.

Think about breaking down your practice sessions not into movements but into elements of movements such as the different feel of riding a half circle and a corner, suppleness left and right, transitions etc etc. This can be done anywhere, in any odd space rather than always a formal school.
Use what you have got to finesse these elements. Transitions as you are hacking, leg-yielding round cars etc. Can you put the field molehills to use as 'markers'? ie if you have a couple about 10 metres apart try bending/serpentines between them. Concentrate on the quality of the pace, rhythm and bend.

Discuss some exercises with your instructor. Don't be afraid of using stuff that seems to 'belong' in other disciplines - I use what may be thought as gymkhana games practice with my pony (lines of bending poles in particular), the underlying elements of suppleness and handiness transfer across to dressage

VRIN

Visit site
Why not get your hubby involved too? Maybe he could join you on a bike when out hacking. Ask him to video...

If your horse is spooking at the white boards get some plastic guttering and put in filled to practise near.

Leo Walker

Visit site
If the mole hills are the issue I'd go out with a shovel and flatten them by hand. It wont be as hard as it sounds as the soil from mole hills is usually lovely and broken up. You dont need a flat surface to ride on, so if you can get the mole hills flat than it should make a big difference. Get some white guttering to mark out an arena and there you go! You could lunge once a week instead of riding and that will free up a bit of time as well.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Have you thought of having a couple of lessons on a schoolmaster so that you get a feel for what you should be feeling and doing which would help your confidence. It will also have the benefit of a "fresh pair of eyes".

vhf

Visit site
I feel the frustration! I have a few flat-ish patches at the bottom end of steep fields, that have to do for schooling. Tussocks and lumps and the odd exposed granite ... It's not easy and I get pretty fed up at times. I try to "forget" about dressage arenas, and school with what I have. 5m loop away from the blackthorn branch and back to the hedge before the tussock... figure eight round the lump and the bedrock... spiral out from the dip... hacking for transitions and lateral work...
It actually sounds like you're doing OK - I think marks can dip in the second test because you are asking more of yourselves/your brain(s) are fried; at this stage it's about the progression not the results (though they'd be nice!).
It will be a harder longer journey for you than those with beautiful schools and involved, supportive OH's, but boy will you be chuffed with yourself when you get there! (So I keep telling myself...)

cundlegreen

Visit site
This may be completely inappropriate as only you know your full situation. Apologies if it is.

Think about breaking down your practice sessions not into movements but into elements of movements such as the different feel of riding a half circle and a corner, suppleness left and right, transitions etc etc. This can be done anywhere, in any odd space rather than always a formal school.
Use what you have got to finesse these elements. Transitions as you are hacking, leg-yielding round cars etc. Can you put the field molehills to use as 'markers'? ie if you have a couple about 10 metres apart try bending/serpentines between them. Concentrate on the quality of the pace, rhythm and bend.

Discuss some exercises with your instructor. Don't be afraid of using stuff that seems to 'belong' in other disciplines - I use what may be thought as gymkhana games practice with my pony (lines of bending poles in particular), the underlying elements of suppleness and handiness transfer across to dressage
Absolutely this. I have an eventer who competes successfully up to Intermediate, and she does all her schooling out hacking and on a rough, hilly piece of set a side. If your horse is spooky, then he's not on the aids. Lots of lateral work is your friend, and it will get him listening to you, which is what dressage ( and any horse training) is all about. Make a game plan when you go out hacking. So many steps of leg yield one way, same number straight, then the other way. Count out loud, he will listen to your voice and cues from your body. The canter leg yield works best for me, and of course, lots of transitions. Good luck!

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I would try reading lots. Dressage today is a good site. There's also a dressage rider (Amelia Newcombe) with really helpful videos on YouTube.

Next time you have a lesson I would ask your instructor what exactly you should and should not be doing. Ask her to make it clear. Good luck with it :)

Thanks for the recommendation on the reading, that sounds good.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
If the mole hills are the issue I'd go out with a shovel and flatten them by hand. It wont be as hard as it sounds as the soil from mole hills is usually lovely and broken up. You dont need a flat surface to ride on, so if you can get the mole hills flat than it should make a big difference. Get some white guttering to mark out an arena and there you go! You could lunge once a week instead of riding and that will free up a bit of time as well.

I think I need to get digging this weekend. I can remove the turf, dig out the excess soil and put the turf back :). Bonus I can use the spare soil to reseed some bare area of my paddocks.

Will find out about getting white guttering. I’ve got some cones with letters on.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site

Thank you, that’s encouraging. Bending poles (or i’ve got cones) sound fun :). We’re a bit more basic then leg yielding at the moment.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I feel the frustration! I have a few flat-ish patches at the bottom end of steep fields, that have to do for schooling. Tussocks and lumps and the odd exposed granite ... It's not easy and I get pretty fed up at times. I try to "forget" about dressage arenas, and school with what I have. 5m loop away from the blackthorn branch and back to the hedge before the tussock... figure eight round the lump and the bedrock... spiral out from the dip... hacking for transitions and lateral work...
It actually sounds like you're doing OK - I think marks can dip in the second test because you are asking more of yourselves/your brain(s) are fried; at this stage it's about the progression not the results (though they'd be nice!).
It will be a harder longer journey for you than those with beautiful schools and involved, supportive OH's, but boy will you be chuffed with yourself when you get there! (So I keep telling myself...)

I like your approach. I need to get myself sorted with some mole hill digging. And then work with what I have :)

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Absolutely this. I have an eventer who competes successfully up to Intermediate, and she does all her schooling out hacking and on a rough, hilly piece of set a side. If your horse is spooky, then he's not on the aids. Lots of lateral work is your friend, and it will get him listening to you, which is what dressage ( and any horse training) is all about. Make a game plan when you go out hacking. So many steps of leg yield one way, same number straight, then the other way. Count out loud, he will listen to your voice and cues from your body. The canter leg yield works best for me, and of course, lots of transitions. Good luck!

That’s impressive eventing from hacking.

That’s a good way of looking at spooky, as not on the aids.

cundlegreen

Visit site
That’s impressive eventing from hacking.

That’s a good way of looking at spooky, as not on the aids.
As much because the mare has hock arthritis, so I needed to do lots of steady straight line work rather than drilling on an artificial surface which I think is very bad for them. My mare went all the way up to Intermediate despite the hocks, and competed for 7 seasons, so I must have done something right. If you are on FB, Ritter challenge do some very good exercises for improving the horse and rider.

vhf

Visit site
We’re a bit more basic then leg yielding at the moment.

Leg yields is a very easy, useful thing to teach - I pretty much start on my first few hacks with a baby. I need to know I can quickly and with no drama push them around obstacles on the road with the rear end under control, and actually an empty road is a lovely easy place for them to "get" it. Once they understand the aids there, they usually translate it to the schooling environment very easily. I think more advanced dressage people will say not to over-use it though, once the aid is established! Hopefully one of them will explain why better than I could.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think more advanced dressage people will say not to over-use it though, once the aid is established! Hopefully one of them will explain why better than I could.

I think only because other lateral exercises (such as shoulder in) assist more for developing collection and engagement, where you can ask the horse to step more under the centre of gravity.
LY is still a very useful suppling exercise at all levels though :)

vhf

Visit site
I think only because other lateral exercises (such as shoulder in) assist more for developing collection and engagement, where you can ask the horse to step more under the centre of gravity.
LY is still a very useful suppling exercise at all levels though :)

Thank you! I wouldn't have said it that clearly! It's a long time since I've progressed beyond a dodgy shoulder in...