Having problems with my 3 year old

Greyirish

Visit site
Hi all... long time lurker here! Looking to find out if anyone has experienced these issues, particularly with a young horse who has very little mileage.

Two weeks ago my lovely 3 year old (rising 4 this year) seemed very footy over the hard ground (he is barefoot) and after trotting him up could see he was lame on the right fore. Completely sound on soft surface. No heat, no swelling, no pulses. Sent some videos for my vet who suggested getting the farrier out to rule out an abscess, and booking a physio in case he'd done something in the field.

Farrier came, tried hoof testers, couldn't find anything obvious, thinks he's footsore. Physio came, found he was very sore in the shoulder and thinks he's got a muscular injury possibly from slipping in the field. Vet came out, said that 90% of what looks to be the shoulder is actually the foot. He thinks that shoulder pain could be from compensating. Wants to come back and nerve block. Next visit, vet says he now looks pottery on both front feet rather than just one and after first nerve block there is a significant improvement. He recommends trying front shoes in case he's footsore, if there's no improvement we'll X-ray.

Front shoes go on, straight way he seems more sure footed and the farrier says he looks a lot better after trotting up, not quite 100% but that could be pain memory. Fast forward 4 days and today he came out the stable very lame. Called the vet, now they are coming out on Friday to X-ray both feet.

I suppose what I'm asking is... has anyone experienced this with a horse who has done very little (lightly backed in September, turned away and has spent the last two months long reining and doing groundwork) and therefore should be less likely to have wear and tear injuries that older horses would i.e. navicular etc? What sort of injury could we be looking at? Again, the vet is coming back out on Friday but until then I am sat here without much clue.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Unlikely to be navicular more likely to be something like annular ligament or possible DDFT.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Sorry just to clarify he is 4 this spring, he was backed in the Autumn of his 3 year old year. I'm in the UK

OK. It's reasonable common for 3/4 year old horses to finish their fast growth phase, need fewer calories and get laminitic. The standard response is to shoe. The grass is growing, I can see it. I would, if he gets grass turnout, remove him from grass for a few days and see if it improves him.

Last edited:

Greyirish

Visit site
OK. It's reasonable common for 3/4 year old horses to finish their fast growth phaee, need fewer calories and get laminitic. The standard response is to shoe. The grass is growing, I can see it. I would, if he gets grass turnout, remove him from grass for a few days and see if it improves him.

Laminitis had crossed my mind too- particularly with the mild winter we're having. However he has no heat or pulse in the foot?

JJS

Visit site
OK. It's reasonable common for 3/4 year old horses to finish their fast growth phaee, need fewer calories and get laminitic. The standard response is to shoe. The grass is growing, I can see it. I would, if he gets grass turnout, remove him from grass for a few days and see if it improves him.

This would be my plan of action too. This sounds like more than being footsore. Even without heat or pulses, I'd be inclined to think he has laminitis.

Greyirish

Visit site
This would be my plan of action too. This sounds like more than being footsore. Even without heat or pulses, I'd be inclined to think he has laminitis.

Thanks for your reply. Since going lame, he has been kept in the stable with an hour or two in a small grass paddock. Not the ideal set up for a youngster but just short term whilst we find the source of the problem. Odd that he was suddenly very lame again this morning despite having less grass

ycbm

Visit site
"Very lame" isn't normal for navicular syndrome or for most ligament or tendon injuries in the foot (which are usually the cause of a navicular syndrome diagnosis). Sore soles from early laminitis don't necessarily have raised pulses or heat. I would stop the grass completely and consider soaking his forage if you don't already.

What feed is he getting?

Greyirish

Visit site
"Very lame" isn't normal for navicular syndrome or for most ligament or tendon injuries in the foot (which are usually the cause of a navicular syndrome diagnosis). Sore soles from early laminitis don't necessarily have raised pulses or heat. I would stop the grass completely and consider soaking his forage if you don't already.

What feed is he getting?

I see. I also meant to add that he is sound in the arena on a soft surface. He is weight bearing and it's not so noticeable at walk, just when trotting up he is very reluctant and shuffl-y. Two days ago he seemed much better in the trot but has now gone downhill

He has recently (gradually) changed feed, going from half a scoop of topline conditioning cubes twice daily to half a scoop of ease & excel twice daily, along with one scoop of Alfa A.

ycbm

Visit site
Is that the Alfa A with molasses in it? That could have tipped him over the edge of it was a recent addition.

Greyirish

Visit site
Is that the Alfa A with molasses in it? That could have tipped him over the edge of it was a recent addition.

Yes that's the one, with the molasses coating. He has always been fed Alfa A, it is just the cubes that have been changed. Will give soaked hay a go

ycbm

Visit site
I think that's a good idea, from what you describe I really feel laminitis is the most obvious answer, the other possibles would be much less likely in a horse as young and little worked as he is. I hope you get an easy answer.

Last edited:

Greyirish

Visit site
I would change my vet tbh. As I was reading OP, I thought 'laminitis' and I haven't even seen the horse. Whatever was your vet thinking?

I’m really concerned now that this is what it is. I’ve been letting him graze for a couple of hours in an attempt to relieve his boredom of box rest, when this could actually be making things worse.

vhf

Visit site
What a tricky situation to be in!
The only thing I would add is that I have had a young horse come up 'pottery' on hard, fine on soft, mystified everyone for a couple of weeks, no heat, no swelling, no tenderness, farrier, nerve blocks, the works, then suddenly presented with a splint. 6 weeks box rest later, sound as a bell. The splint never really developed into much, and melted away to very little quite nicely too. (Also almost the only splint I've ever had present with lameness!)

It could fit with what you've experienced if laminitis is ruled out - e.g. hooling in the field with associated sore shoulder. Once shoulder feeling better, sore leg more obvious.

Greyirish

Visit site
An update for those interested, following the vet’s visit today… Watching him trot up the vet said there’s a visible lameness in the right fore (as opposed to both legs) so X-rays of the feet went ahead. This showed the back of the pedal bone in the right foot- which should be around a 90 degree angle- was almost horizontal and flat. Could be a conformational defect, and this certainly will cause more strain.

He’s been booked to go to the hospital next week for the day, to have a full assessment. I guess that means I better call my insurance company! :(

Everything has been done slowly and carefully with him in the hope that he’ll last a long time, so I’m feeling really low that my lovely young horse is having issues already. Photo attached of the sweet boy because he’s been such a good patient.

Attachments

• 45A250A8-0431-42BA-8D70-D1E6FDD1A52D.png
    45A250A8-0431-42BA-8D70-D1E6FDD1A52D.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 12

Greyirish

Visit site
What a tricky situation to be in!
The only thing I would add is that I have had a young horse come up 'pottery' on hard, fine on soft, mystified everyone for a couple of weeks, no heat, no swelling, no tenderness, farrier, nerve blocks, the works, then suddenly presented with a splint. 6 weeks box rest later, sound as a bell. The splint never really developed into much, and melted away to very little quite nicely too. (Also almost the only splint I've ever had present with lameness!)

It could fit with what you've experienced if laminitis is ruled out - e.g. hooling in the field with associated sore shoulder. Once shoulder feeling better, sore leg more obvious.

Thank you vhf, that’s really interesting. It certainly is a tricky situation to be in!

Reactions: vhf