Hay 2020

gallopingby

Visit site
Mine went into the ‘pit’ yesterday ☹️ There was some hay made early on, but not enough, and sadly the decision was made that there’s not likely to be any hay making weather for weeks. Looks like it’s going to be a buying in year. ?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I feel so lucky to have been able to buy mine in and get really nice hay delivered too. For once I won't (I hope) be scratching around for hay over the winter. Our suppliers told me they were well down on quantity and had to work through the night to get most of it. Their Timothy hay got rained on and eventually ended up in round bales so we didn't get any for the laminitics but that is a minor detail.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Last year I got 65 large rounds. This year from the same fields I have got 35. I used 38 and 5 feeding straw. Luckily I have got first dibs on 10 bales of oat straw this harvest and have a small carryover of bales I did not sell from last year so things should be ok for this winter, but I have had to let the person I sold to last year know that there is none available for them.

tda

Visit site
Yes, last year we had bumper 72 round bales, usually 48ish, this year 18 ??18!

We have managed to rent a field of grass, which we are going to cut for haylage in August, which should be enough (I hope)

SEL

Visit site
Not my hay but when it was cut for the yard last week they were pleased it was only about 1/3 down. Another field that's usually cut for hay got topped yesterday because it has made such a feeble effort at growing.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've found a new supplier this year and I've got more than enough for winter now.

He was saying that their will be a shortage this winter though as he won't get another cut on his fields this year.

skint1

Visit site
My hay supplier (farmer, based in North Wilts) said he was significantly down on last year's yield, I can't remember what he said exactly by way of percentages, I want to say something like 40%. He said he's ok for the moment, but winter and next year....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
155 small bales off the field this year, compared to 204 last year.

Knew it looked thin, so am not too disappointed. Very difficult weather though this year, a forecast which kept promising dry weather then oops, sorry, rain. Hope the quality will be ok, ideally it would have had another day to make, but we were up against it.

CC6B0520-DA78-4239-9390-6C4B0099FD7F.jpeg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We're down, 365 bales last year (that was extraordinary, never had so many in the previous 15 years, had a few issues getting rid of what won't fit in the barn - usually the contractor takes it to sell, but had too much already).
We cut the small paddock early this year when the weather was nice (it doesn't really get grazed so ready early) and got 69, and 66 off the main field so massive difference.

soloequestrian

Visit site
In Scotland. Last year we had the best year ever on our small plot - 23 big round haylage bales. Got the same this year. The horses only ate 9 last winter so I have far too many....

Nasicus

Visit site
We didn't bother this year, would have been pitiful and not worth the cost. I can only hope that leaving it means there will be a bit more to graze by the time winter rolls around, but we'll see.

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
Mine was baled and brought in yesterday; the yield is a bit lower (120 small bales per acre compared to 130 last year), but I had twice the acreage available to cut this year so have enough for my horses and for my neighbours too. So relieved to get it in the barn though, the weather has not been at all helpful this year.