Hay bales in field how long do they last you???

Ponies1234

Visit site
As above is it depending on piggy horses?
My 15hh & 11hh goes through 1 bale in 5-6 days!!
Another same sizes will last nearly a month!
How long does one last you & how many on it
TIA

FfionWinnie

Visit site
No hay bale is the exact same content, often wildly different, so a pointless question really. Make sure they aren't wasting it by using a feeder, would be my advice.

nato

Visit site
A full bale lasts us a week with 5-6 horses. But we had some grass all winter too as the fields were rotated.

3Beasties

Visit site
A round bale in a feeder lasts my 3 (section a and two 16.2) two weeks with them just out during the day.

nato

Visit site
A full bale lasts us a week with 5-6 horses. But we had some grass all winter too as the fields were rotated.

Oh yeah, further to 3Beasties comment, ours are only out during the day (approx 10am-6pm).

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yours sound piggy OP! How do you have your bale? I've got mine in a holder with one of those huge haynets over it which limits wastage. Generally 1 bale lasts 2 horses (16hh) and 1 pony (Dartmoor) 10 days at the moment and we dont have much grass (currently lots of snow...) and 1 bale lasts my 17.1hh WB about the same on his own.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I assume you're on about the massive bales?

I had mine in the field shelter 2 years ago, my 15hh mare and 16hh gelding stood at it all the time and it would last them 2 weeks! the shetland occassionaly popped in for some! even a round bale would last 10 days!! but I did have it in a hay feeder, so I dont know if that stopped them wasting so much!!

Ponies1234

Visit site
Yes defently! I just roll it in the field stand it up only Shetland x & cob x on it, no waste they clear it before I got the cob x on loan owner said he was a pig now I get it! Getting too much now though my others with last them nearly a month whilst them 2 go through 4 sometimes 5 + there having feed, we have no grass at the moment muddy field had a little snow today