Hay bar

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I feed Georige haylage at my new yard - £10 week adlib. Trouble is I feed off the floor - hate haynets and racks and Georige is wasting some of it by walking it into his bed. YO is not particularly impressed and suggested today that I should feed in nets to stop him wasting it. I really don't want to so have been looking at the haybars.
Does anyone have them? Are they any good? I am also concerned that Georgie might try to stand in it!

K9Wendy

Visit site
Nearly everyone on our yard has them, some horses still manage to drop some on the floor but generally there is little wastage. They seem a good job, if just a bit too expensive for me to install at the moment..

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Nearly everyone on our yard has them, some horses still manage to drop some on the floor but generally there is little wastage. They seem a good job, if just a bit too expensive for me to install at the moment..

[/ QUOTE ]

They are quite expensive for what they are! Years and years ago now my dad built me a smilar thing made out of plywood. I'm wondering whether to have a go myself or just hit the credit card!

skye123

Visit site
we had one for my old pony cos she used to chew through her haynet and it was brilliant
smile.gif

beh

Visit site
we have 2 for our horsies and they are fab, save sooooooooooo much time and pretty damage proof *touches wood very quickly* GET ONE IF U CAN, FAB INVESTMENT!!!!1

Caritas

Visit site
My horse ripped his in one night of having it, made it real sharp around the top edge, very expensive and far from indestructable. May as well just feed less so they eat it all and then no wasteage on the floor.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have one each for the four girls and they are wonderful. Two of them still pull hay out onto the floor, but much less messy than feeding from the floor. We had brick built mangers in the yard we were at when we rented and they were excellent as well, not sure I would want the plywood alternative for our fairly big horses.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My horse ripped his in one night of having it, made it real sharp around the top edge, very expensive and far from indestructable. May as well just feed less so they eat it all and then no wasteage on the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

How on earth did he manage to do that? Was he OK?

Caritas

Visit site
He chewed the top edge and then it was very sharp! He was ok but removed it straight away and now he eats on the floor.