Hay Bars and Munch Stations

happihorse

Visit site
My horse is currently fed haylage from a large capacity small holed haynet which is tied to a rope which is attached to one of the roof beams at the side of his stable. However, I am concerned that pulling out his hay and eating it in this position is encouraging him to build up muscles in the wrong areas of his neck (he is a dressage horse).
I have look into alternative feeding systems such as the haybar (see http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/ProductDetai...language=en-GB) and the munch station (see http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/ProductDetai...language=en-GB) as was wondering was everyone else uses. Have you or anyone you know of tried either of these systems? What are the faults and advantages? Have their been any safety issues?

showjump2003

Visit site
At the start of this winter I bought two hay bars for my horses and don't regret it at all, I love them. They are pretty expensive for what they are but make life easier for me! My horse already has a huge lack of topline and like you I was worried about her pulling at a net causing more problems. Since using the haybar for a few months I can lready start to see an improvment in her muscle build.

I haven't had any problems with mine at all, definatly no safety issues. They are fitted quite high up so no trouble with getting lets in ect. I have a third horse that I would like a haybar for but can't as she has a nasty habit of kicking everything with her itchy backlegs and a haytbar wouldn't last 5 mins!

But yes, I think they are great.

beh

Visit site
we have two and am very pleased with them, think of them as an investment
smile.gif

RachelB

Visit site
I don't like the look of the munch station personally, I imagine the horse would have to twist its head on its neck to get to the hay, whereas the hay bar or loose hay is a properly 'natural' position, no twisting involved.
My horse gets nosebleeds from a weak blood vessel in her nose if she doesn't eat from the floor, so I feed her dinner in a tyre rubber bucket and her hay in the biggest tubtrug I could find. She luckily doesn't make much mess with her hay so not much wastage, and it cost me £10! If she did waste hay though, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a hay bar, I've heard so many good things. People have also suggested making your own out of sheets of wood.
The other good thing is that there's none of the hauling the haynet up onto the tie ring, it's done wonders for my back, let alone my horse's neck (and nose)!!

happihorse

Visit site
Have you found that your horses try to pull the hay out of the hay bar and then throw it over the door or does the hay bar stop this? Mine have a habit of carrying loose hay over the door so that they can admire the view while munching!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have hay bars for all four, one of them is very messy and still throws her hay over the floor. The hay bars are wonderful though, we used to feed them from the floor, the hay bars work much better than that for all but one and she still eats from the floor, carefully emptying out the hay bar.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Luvvvvvvvv my Haybar and would never go back to haynets. I get no waste at all. It is also a much more natural position from the to eat from too. Several of my friends have also brought them too, and they are all really happy with them.

Can't comment on the Munch Station as have never had one, but would agree with the previous poster re: horse having to twist head/neck.