Hay bars

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We use them. The alternative is putting the hay on the floor as we would not use haynets under any circumstances, except for travelling. nasty, dangerous things, IMO.

However some horses do prefer to pull all their hay out and pick out the tastiest bits.

NooNoo59

Visit site
LOve mine, although horse still thinks its a great game to chuck it all out of the hay bar, but it does the job, very robust, will last forever so well worth the money and much better position to eat than from a haynet.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I hate filling haynets, and I think its more natural to feed from the floor - two of mine who like to drag their hay into their beds have them and they love them, happy horses, and no mess, well worth the money. :D

DougalJ

Visit site
I have one and they save load of time filling haynets (which I hate). However my horses does love to turf it all out into his shavings bed so there is a bit of wastage with it.

TakeAChance

Visit site
I love mine and so does my horse. It's much easier than having to fill nets and he eats directly from it rather than pulling the hay out onto the floor which is good :) He makes tunnels in the hay to eat from the bottom of the hay bar - it's so funny to watch, his whole head disappears up to his ears! Does anyone elses horse do this?!

BabyA

Visit site
I love mine but you have to make sure you clean out the bottom of the Hay bar quite often as any dust etc builds up and can start to go mouldy especially if you soak the Hay. :)

DougalJ

Visit site
Mine sticks his head deep into it and as if to check there is a surprise at the bottom of it! He then turns it over and over and then finally starts eating it!

whizzer

Visit site
Love,love,love mine! But then my horse never,ever pulls his hay out & chucks it everywhere like some do. Would never go back to haynets.

soulfull

Visit site
I have a home made one. was working well until he got bored and started pulling it out all over the place. I'm thinking of putting a lid on it so he can only get it from the bottom??

black_horse

Visit site
The yard has these as standard in all boxes. I love it as does my horse :). I hate haynets as she likes to kick out at them and get her hoof stuck :O

katie_southwest

Visit site
Mine also buries her head in it, and makes a tunnel....just like this :)

385382_10151085039960085_572445084_22629173_1332155333_n.jpg

PolarSkye

Visit site
Kali will systematically remove every strand of hay or haylage from a hay bar by tossing it with his head and then break said hay bar by leaning in as far as he can to get to the bits on the bottom. Far cheaper to just leave hay/haylage on the floor (he is a real forager and will hoover up whatever is left on the floor/in the bedding).

P

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
Both my horses have them. I think they're brilliant.

The only downside is that I can't slow down my fat, greedy warmblood's hay intake as much as I'd like, but I've discovered that soaking his hay will make it last a lot longer.

I also have to ensure that my TB (who has half haylage and half hay) has the haylage on top of the hay, otherwise he'll throw all the hay out to get to his scrummy haylage first.

sandi_84

Visit site
Mine also buries her head in it, and makes a tunnel....just like this :)

385382_10151085039960085_572445084_22629173_1332155333_n.jpg

Had myself a wee giggle at this photo :D Sweet!
Our new stables are nearly completed, they've got a few more tiles to put on the roof, the last 4 doors need put on (mine, mum's, sister's and niece's) and the builders stuff taken out and floors cleaned/disinfected. Mum and big sis are getting hay bars for their three. I'm just going to put it on the floor as Loki is an equihoover anyway, he pulls it out of haynet drops it on floor, makes a decent sized pile and then starts munching away :rolleyes::D
So thought I'd get everyones opinions on them for the mothership and sister before they go spending a heap of money on them. Thanks everyone!

muffinmunsh

Visit site
I have one traditional one for the mare and a funky one with a "slow me down" contraption for the gelding. They both work lovely ... Although it only took the gelding a couple of nights to work out how to open the "slow me down" mechanism ;-)

indie999

Visit site
I have thought about getting one but am wondering if my bottom rubbing horse might try to destroy it??? Would love one though! Easier to fill etc

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I have one traditional one for the mare and a funky one with a "slow me down" contraption for the gelding. They both work lovely ... Although it only took the gelding a couple of nights to work out how to open the "slow me down" mechanism ;-)

What's the slow down contraption. This could be useful for me. Is there a website link for it?

curio

Visit site
ive got a homemade one
one horse eats nicely the other tosses it out then dunks his hay , even when its steamed first
hate nets big cob needs slowing down and is on a diet but is too angry with nets so when his hays gone its gone hes got straw to pick at :)

Ladydragon

Visit site
How much do the hay bars hold? Compared to nets I mean...

I don't like nets but our TB promptly poops n' pees on any haylage piles put in the corner for him to eat off the floor and kicks it all around to get mushed up with his other mess... He is disgusting though... Whilst they're in at night he has one mahoosive net and one regular large one... And clears them both...

I was curious how much they'd take by comparison...

:)

Donnie Darco

Visit site
How much do the hay bars hold? Compared to nets I mean...

I don't like nets but our TB promptly poops n' pees on any haylage piles put in the corner for him to eat off the floor and kicks it all around to get mushed up with his other mess... He is disgusting though... Whilst they're in at night he has one mahoosive net and one regular large one... And clears them both...

I was curious how much they'd take by comparison...

:)

They take a whole small bale of hay-so quite a bit!

And yes my old man used to make tunnels too!!! Lyla eats from the top down. Both were polite with it, never pulled hay out or trashed it.

And I got mine 2nd so bargain bargain bargain!!!:D

emmaln

Visit site
I made homemade ones for my girls and love it for my tb but had to go back to nets for my welsh as she would eat way too fast and I need to control her hay intake!! Would be very interested to hear about slow me down hay bar! Thank you!

af699eb1.jpg