Hay crop looks good, then ...

Mrs B

Visit site
They cut the field opposite my house on Thursday, turned Friday & Saturday and are baling today ... I've never seen the waiting rows stacked so high! One of the guys working was walking alongside them and the cut crop was piled as high as mid-thigh. So pleased for them after last summer's meagre results ... :)

Hay field 2019.jpg

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
What an idyllic picture.

Hay fields look good here to, so fingers crossed for good quality at similar prices to last year. My hay supplier had to buy in and the current hay is not great. Looking forward to new season. I guess a couple of months until it’s safe to feed

Myloubylou

Visit site
Prices didn’t get too ridiculous round us and on the plus side horses didn’t have to stay in 24/7 at any point this winter so don’t think spent more on hay. Have noticed a lot of adverts advertising last years hay at cheaper prices so hopefully that’s a good sign they are expecting a good hay crop.

Mrs B

Visit site
I hope the weather holds for everyone with rain-flattened fields this week.

The haylage fields round here have just had their 2nd crop baled, so hopefully there will be more the enough to go round and still some left to sell on further afield ... :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It’s been glorious seeing all the hay being made round by me over the past week, which is a bit of a rarity. Lots of haylage too which is the norm (along with silage which is a second cut on many fields. Good weather over the summer will result in a third for many fields).

tankgirl1

Visit site
My Dad is friends with a local hay farmer, last year he wanted 8 pound a small bale collected! He's always been on the pricey side mind... I've asked my Dad to find out his prices this year as he always prices it as high as he can get away with. There is grass growing like billy -o, and hay drying and bales in every field you pass atm so I think farmers are going to start running out or storage soon tbh

The Trooper

Visit site
Lots of hay/haylage activity here in the Scottish Borders, we did not have a shortage as such last year and I was able to get haylage (small square) for £6 per bale or large round hay for £35.

The yard I am on did not get as much hay last year as they did the year before but there was enough to see us through winter and leave a few to be used throughout summer for nets in stables etc. I'm hoping the hay is as nice this year as it was last year!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
what do you all reckon on hay prices this year then? will they fall?
I've been quoted by my lovely farmer at £3 a small bale collected and £3.50 delivered and stacked whether I'm there or not, so same price as last 5 years.

I always go for delivered etc as cannot be bothered for the difference of a few quid on around 100 bales, as by the time I've done at least 2 trips in the box and knackered myself it's not worth it really.....
I know his hay is always good and any problems I can get them swapped for no charges etc.

Locally it's 2.50 to 3.50 collected off the field, but I stay with farmer friend as he does my muck heap and harrowing etc.