Hay Cutting Question

Tapir

Visit site
How long is hay usually left in the field between cutting and baling?

I'm interested because loads of fields round here have been cut and my pony is terrified of tractors. I'm wondering when they'll be out and about again baling and moving the hay.

jokadoka

Visit site
They usually turn it a few times before baling, so I'd say a couple of days at least, unless they have to get it in in a hurry because of bad weather.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
well, if they cut it today, they'll be turning tomorrow (maybe even twice), turning again probably Saturday, maybe Sunday and then rowing and baling on Monday I would think. It depends how long and thick the grass was in the first place, though :)

celia

Visit site
Fields cut for hay will be turned most days, until it's properly dry, so probably 4-5 days, depending on the weather. Haylage only gets turned once or twice before baling so wouldn't be as long. :)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
IF it is being cut definitely for hay (lots is for haylage/silage in which case the answer would be different!), then they will try ideally to get it dried and baled within the shortest possible time. So in scorching hot weather that could be within 2-3 days (as you have to allow for cutting, several turns of the grass and then baling). BUT....tis all weather dependent, hay has to be dry dry dry to bale so if it gets rained on then it will have to dry before it can be baled so you could go over a week.

If it were for silage they would probably cut one day and let it wilt a bit and then same or next day suck it all up into a big wagon to go off to a silage pit.

Haylage would be more like hay but cut earlier in the season and a bit of dampness would be less of a disaster so more likely to follow the timetable.

Have you seen in previous years whether it is hay or silage/haylage they do?

I should add that the weather last year in NE Scotland meant we didnt make hay until mid August, but when we did it was so hot that we got it cut, turned twice, baled and in the barn within 36 hours. That was hard work but worth it when the blobby raindrops started to fall 5 mins after the last bale was in....

My pont doesnt like tractors either but we usually manage to sneak past in between the tractor runs :)

Last edited:

Tapir

Visit site
thankys everyone.

Yes, it's usually hay round here and my pony is fortunately Ok with tractors in the field, as long as they aren't too close, but has a total panic if we meet any on our narrow lanes. So turning hay is pretty much ok but moving it from the field is when it gets to be a bit of a nightmare that I'd rather just avoid.