Hay feeding question...

mpicton

Visit site
Slightly idiotic post so my apologies if I come across as a simpleton (probs a true thing to say though
crazy.gif
)
blush.gif

Now I'm trying to work out if my idea would actually work...and if not has anyone got any ideas as to what might?

I feed my boy atm soaked hay in a net. However I would rather be feeding from the floor (gone right off nets). BUT, I can't just soak the hay and stick it on the floor as we get those huge hay bale thingys and it come off loose so would just end up going everywhere.

Do you think if I make a whole in a tub trug or something similar (for drainage) I could just stick the hay in and soak it there? Would love a haybar but can't really afford one atm though...any thoughts?

_daisy_

Visit site
cant see why it wouldnt work.
why not make a haybar of your own.cant remember who it was that put a diagram up - will have a search for you and link it if i find it.
in the meantime i cant see why the hole in the tub wouldnt work as well

S_N

Visit site
Errrr.... well...... soak it in the net and then empty the net out? That's what I did all last winter - when I wasn't steaming hay that is!

_daisy_

Visit site
no probs, here to help.
if id have found it before i bought my haybars i wouldve got my dad to make me some.
never mind - got them off a lovely forum member.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The most simple ideas are very often the best ones. You'd better keep quiet about it though because Robinsond will probably start making them & putting them in their catalogue......for double the price of a trug.
grin.gif

sharni

Visit site
round where I live people use those great big wooden potato boxes for feeding hay or haylage from. they can be put between post and rail fencing so you can do 2 fields at once.