Hay & grass livery

Is your horse/s clipped?

• Total voters

Nari

Visit site
If you are on grass livery that, in the winter, includes hay would you expect the yard owner to put it in the field for the horses or make it available for you to put out, say left near the gate for you to then put in a sheltered area of the field?

A generous hay ration is provided, this year the YO has really struggled putting it out every day & the grass livery has never taken a turn. No charge is made for doing this.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
I put no i'd put it out. But only because then i would know it's been done ( can you tell i don't trust anyone to do my pony
blush.gif
) But it depends what is stated in the livery contract and how many are in the field. I would not be happy if i shared the field and the other owner didn't put hay out.

spookypony

Visit site
This is a tricky one to vote on, because it depends on what expectations were set up to begin with! On our yard, the YM arranges for big round bales to be placed in the feeders at regular intervals, but if for example I were to put my pony in the starvation paddock (which doesn't have a feeder), I would take hay down there myself.

SO1

Visit site
YO normlly puts it out as we have a herd of 9 so it is not just one pony and it is hard to organise a rota to make it fair and people come at different times - but if I am there and it is haying time I always offer to help or do it myself.

If there is only one grass livery then that is probably a bit different though.

AandK

Visit site
i assume this is DIY grass livery? if there are lots of horses it may be hard to co-ordinate but unless you are paying for assisted grass livery then i would guess it's not YO's responsibility to put hay out. unless it is specified in the livery contract.

my boy is on grass livery and i pay extra for hay in the winter but i put it out in the field myself. at old yard i would have to pay extra for hay to be put out for my horse. but then it was just my ned and one other so easy enough to put it out without any drama. as i am up both ends of the day to feed i am happy to put hay out too.

it was the same last winter except i took it in turns with someone else putting out hay.