Hay Hutch alternatives...ideas most welcome

bumper

Visit site
I'm looking for inventive ideas as to how to feed hay in a field please! Awaiting construction of a field shelter, I'm wasting a lot of hay in these winds, and don't particularly fancy paying a lot of money for one of those "Hay Hutch" things, as they would only be needed short-term. It's to feed one horse, so doesn't need to be big...enough for a small bale would be fine. There is currently nowhere to hang nets (leccy fencing with wooden posts/leccy fencing posts), and the available trees are cordoned off as the hardcore for the field shelter has been put down near them.
Anyone constructed a useful device? Could I do something with a plastic bin?? (I can't work out how to fix one sturdily)

Ideas welcome :)

zangels

Visit site
We use a compost bin, it works well as the lid keeps the haylage dry and the horses can pull it out the bottom. We tie it to a fence post to stop it falling over.

Spottyappy

Visit site
b9fe56208ffaee61825e6434f2f8ec47.jpg

Big tractor tyres. You need several and land can get abit poached as they're nor easy to move, but bar any hay the horses pull out it stays put in the highest of winds.

bumper

Visit site
Ooh both great ideas! I cannot tie a bin to a fencepost as they are all running leccy wires, but we COULD bang one in I guess. Tractor tyre also a good option!!

ETA Spottyappy...it's for a spotty appy!!

Last edited:

lelly

Visit site
Buy a wheelie bin and cut a hole at the bottom front. I also fasten the lid down after filling. You will need to knock two fence posts in the ground to fasten it to. Works a treat you can nearly fit a whole bale in the medium sized bins.

Spottyappy

Visit site
ETA Spottyappy...it's for a spotty appy!![/QUOTE]
Yep, only I lost the homebred Appy 2 years ago.sadly.
We haven't got *****lands now! but had 2 and had no issues with them and the tyres. They were standards not minis.

bumper

Visit site
Buy a wheelie bin and cut a hole at the bottom front. I also fasten the lid down after filling. You will need to knock two fence posts in the ground to fasten it to. Works a treat you can nearly fit a whole bale in the medium sized bins.

lelly I was wondering how you fasten the bin to the posts: we have now bought a wheelie bin, but not sure how to fix it!

katherine1975

Visit site
We use big blue plastic barrels and saw the tops off. Make a hole near the top and tie them to the fence. There is still some wasteage where they pull the hay out but it's not too bad.

lelly

Visit site
lelly I was wondering how you fasten the bin to the posts: we have now bought a wheelie bin, but not sure how to fix it!
We use rope from the handles and some from the wheels. Make sure your horse can't get his feet in it anywhere.

katherine1975

Visit site
Hi Bumper. I asked for the barrels on facebook and someone locally had them. Try local farmers and they are on eBay sometimes, ours came from a goat milking farm.