Hay Hutch

Leo Walker

Visit site
Has anyone got one? I've just bought one as it came up second hand at a bargain price. Its the small one for use in the stable. I just wondered how they are to use? Its mainly to keep the hay from being totally trashed and hopefully to withstand a fat cob scratching her butt on it! She has broken everything else so far!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I love mine for the field. Although I'm wondering about drilling drainage holes in the bottom as the rain blows in sideways round here. I have a breeze block in the bottom and it's held steady in 60mph gusts ( Not a problem on the stable! Lol). I use the metal screw to help keep the lid on which is quite fiddly but optional depending on how clever your horse is. I don't trust The Beast to not figure out the lid. It does really seem to limit hay wastage and being able to move it around in the field helps with poaching.

Fruitcake

Visit site
I love mine. I’ve got the medium field one. I’ve had it for about 8 years or so now, I think. The top did detach from the base a few years ago but OH just put a few bolts in and it’s been great ever since. The wind here is crazy at times but with a few rocks / bits of paving slabs in the bottom, it’s been fine. We also drilled a few holes in the bottom for drainage.

It does tend to end up with grass growing inside it during the summer (as I’m too lazy to clear all the seeds etc out at the end of the winter and, since we lost the little Sec A, there’s nobody to graze it off!)

Ceriann

Visit site
LOve mine - have three! Two for horses and one for the sheep. Brilliant things both winter and summer, easy to move etc.

Fanatical

Visit site
I love mine - bought a medium one last winter for the horses living out. Saved so much time not having to rake up the patches of haylage.