Hay in Field

Esso

Visit site
I know this is going to sound really stupid but at the Livery yard where I am the person in charge has said that a new law says we can no longer put hay out in the field!! has anybody else heard this or is it as I believe a load of ........!!! crazy or what?!
crazy.gif

JAK

Visit site
Huh? I think someone's pulling your leg, or has got fed up of the mess it creates possibly!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
In the deepest darkest depths of my memory I can remember something about hay in fields and planning regulations. I thought this referred more to using hay bars etc as a permanent thing as it may change the use of a field.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Rubbish. If there was such a "law" - ignore it. If they ever tried to do you for it then Im sure you could take them to court and it would be in the papers as being so pathetic!

We have (and still do daily!) put hay in our fields for years.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I think thgey are talking nonsense.

However, could just be that they have been reported to local planning department for not obtained planning permission for change of use of the field from agricultural to equestrian.

If the field is still classified as agricultrural then horse may graze in it but can not be fed as they are then are no longer classified as agricultural horses and become recreational horses.

ormunde

New User
Visit site
My horse lives out all year round with a field shelter so I have to feed her hay in the field. I also recieved my delivery of hay for winter last month which is kept in the field on pallets under tarpaulins in a sectioned off area behind my shelter.

My understanding is that if you can move a structure you dont need planning permissions so no law is broken - hence I have a mobile field shelter too!

I think your person in charge either doesnt like a mess or has an issue if the horses are turned out together. Apart from that I have never heard of or dont understand it either!

Hornby

Visit site
My neighbour, who is a farmer, said to me this week that farmers are not allowed to let the ground in their fields get churned up in winter, for example, by having a ring in the field to hold a haylege bale where the ground gets ruined around it. If this was to happen (moving the ring and so keeping the ground good would be ok, I presume) they would lose their Single Farm Payment Subsidy. Maybe this is what your YO is referrring to? Do they farm as well as have the horses?

JaneMBE

Visit site
we also can't put hayrounds onto grass. Something to do with something which has gone out of my head whilst typing!
Ack.
Farmers also not allowed, we have been told. I think it's defra but not 100%.

But you are not the only one to have been told, there is a reason for it.

what a hopeless answer!!!!

sorry..

Gillb

www.westgatelabs.co.uk
This is something to do with qualifying for the single payment scheme and keeping your ground good. We have registered land, but I can't remember all the rules and quite honestly its such a small payment it's hardly worh all the bother.
It does sound loony doesn't it?