Hay or haylage?

_jetset_

Visit site
I had some tests done on Hannah a few years ago when she kept getting colic and we got lots of information back on why she gets the colic. A lot of it was because the gut was inbalanced, so I was intsructed to put her on pure Alfa A (which I did) and feed her hay (I did initially but she prefers haylage and the hay was not brilliant).

Due to her colic last night I have decided to try to put her back on hay, but try to get some meadow hay in a big bale and give her a couple of months on this to see whether this solves her problems.

I was just wondering who fed their horses hay all year around, or do you think they need haylage in the winter??

Thanks for your help,

Rebecca

Ginn

Visit site
I have always fed hay, including on many tb's who have wintered out and been in work, and cannot fault it. Have never used hayledge tho so cannot compare the 2.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... I have always been of the belief that haylage is better for them but if she keeps getting colic I just want to erradicate all possible causes.

loopeepee

Visit site
Ive fed hay and haylage, and both have been good for the different horse.
Feeding hay to currrent pony, and he does well on it... all year round, although the yard we are at is the main supplier of haylege in the S of E!

Also if she's got an inbalanced gut, talk to H's mum about Coligone......

BethH

Visit site
I give hay not haylage. When I tried haylage it went straight to my horses head, not sure if it is richer or has higher protein content than hay. I always try to make sure my hay is excellent quality and stick to the same supplier with a good reputation, I have found barn dried hay in particular to be good quality fibre but I think it is similar nutritionwise to haylage. I am sure you already know that you feed 1.5 times haylage to hay because of the retained moisture.

_jetset_

Visit site
To be honest, she has her haylage adlib, as she will the hay if I decide to try her on it... In winter they are in 24/7 every other day so I like her to have as much as she likes.

S_N

Visit site
I have fed both, and tbh, I prefer feeding good quality hay. Haylage does small lovely, but it can also cause so many problems.......does not smell as good as steamed hay though
laugh.gif
Also, you may find that she will need to be on hay anyway once she has foaled, as the foal will try to eat it and haylage may be to rich for baby's tummy! Also (again
tongue.gif
) haylage may make her milk too rich = foal scours and possibly growth related problems! I'm not saying that these things will happen, but it's worth bearing in mind that they might......

riotgirl

Visit site
I've never really fed haylage. My Welshie is such a good doer that she is ok with good quality hay. I did try it on my old girl whi is 34, but she found it too rich and got the runs constantly.

JenEventer

New User
Visit site
I have fed both. As have haylage when i have my horse at uni.

But i think you must stick to one for a while. You dont want to change from day to day.

seza

Visit site
We feed hay as we like to give them ad lib and if we fed haylage in the same quantities they would be too fat to jump! On the rare occasion when they have been fed haylage they love it but it doesn't last as long. We buy big square bales of hay and it is lovely.