Hay prices

twiggy2

Visit site
I am just wondering how much people are paying for this year's hay, good quality, 4ft round bales, delivered but not stacked and in what quantity you are buying it?

Polos Mum

Visit site
Yorkshire - they were stacked I bought 24 (a whole trailer load) for £25 a bale. I viewed it when it was still standing in the field to check quality grass / for weeds.
and know how long it was cut / how many turns

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Cant help on big bale prices, but locally new small bale prices are now ranging from £5 - £6.25 at the 5 main feed stores, that's collection. Delivery extra. One place is cheaper if more than 200 delivered to same place, dont know about the others.
Am having a huge sigh of relief as saw mine today (delivery tomorrow) as it's in farmer friends barn on trailer as was gathered up quickly Fri pm and time ran away, then weather broke so was sheeted and dragged into barn. They are big, dry, hefty bales, smell v good too (no heat Tiddlypom). I popped in to pay as money was burning a hole in my pocket.
Last 3 years he has got over 2000 small bales, this year on same area he has taken just under 1300. (They have a good 1st silage amount in the clamp, hoping the 2nd cut will finish off well too.

jnb

Visit site
£4.50 a bale superb quality soft meadow hay delivered and stacked, I bought 50 "old" bales in May as all our grass had burned off in the heatwave (I already had 30 of last winter's left).
My supplier (professional hay/straw merchant) says his prices will remain the same as they had to increase them last year for the first time in 10 years. He says he's expecting yield to be down but this is the first year in 5 they had hay left in May as last years was such a bumper crop.
I will probably need 30ish more in Jan/Feb but may get them in when I have room so we don't run out this winter.
My supplier also said though, he has not taken on any new customers in 2 years and doesn't intend to this year either, so he can supply his loyal customers.

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm a bit worried there is going to be a shortage this year - I know the yield from our hay fields was really poor and it has been so dry here that I can't see many people getting a second cut. I wish I had the space to buy in more as I'm going to need to start haying in the summer fields soon. I only have one stable for storage but I think I'm going to use one of my other stables too and just accept I won't be able to stable until they've eaten all the hay! With how little grass I've got left I can't imagine that will be long tbh.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I'm paying the same as last year. £30 each 4 delivered once a month from September onward's.

I saw in the feed merchants yesterday they are already selling this years hay at £6 a bale. The old man round the corner is selling at £4.50 but he'll put the prices up come autumn.

I've had a few local contractors (who usually sell hay) say they are not selling anything this year and its all being kept for there own livestock. One said of off 16 acres he usually gets around 60 or the 4 string quadrant bales, but this year he only got 27. Hay is going to be in really short supply this year. But, the farmer down the road has just taken his 3rd cut of silage off the big field I drive past daily (the stuff that goes in the clamp, not bales) so he should be doing alright.

DenRams

New User
Visit site
Can’t comment on price as we make our own. Yield down from 750 last year to 420 this year. This is in Oxfordshire.
Looking to buy in more hay now and store. I think it’ll be expensive and in short supply next year. I will expect to pay £3.75 per bale delivered.

holeymoley

Visit site
We’re currently £20 for last years so thinking this years may be £30. He just got it in in the nick of time before the heavens opened. Still a great price compared to last yard that wanted £45 per round and didn’t allow you to buy elsewhere!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
For small bales our supplier quoted us £3.50 a bale delivered off the field. That was back in April. I fully expected him to put the price up given they were down on yield but no, he brought us the 300 we wanted and kept the price the same, helped us with stacking too. Fabulous service and lovely meadow hay. Smelt gorgeous when we were stacking it.

Steerpike

Visit site
I'm dreading this winter, I normally buy in around now but we are supposed to be moving and that will mean finding new hay suppliers.

CavaloBranco

Visit site
I have had to use some of my winter allocation of small bale hay from my local farmer/supplier and it's still July!! We just don't have grass coming through here in Sussex.
Small bales are now £5 a bale, up from £4 for the last 7 years but it's really lovely hay and big (small) bales. Farmer is only selling their normal allocation to regulars.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Can’t comment on price as we make our own. Yield down from 750 last year to 420 this year. This is in Oxfordshire.
Looking to buy in more hay now and store. I think it’ll be expensive and in short supply next year. I will expect to pay £3.75 per bale delivered.
Same here in Cheshire. We are 1000 bales down on last year, however, as last year was a bumper year, we’ve still got plenty left over. Just thankful it’s all really nice hay. We only sell to our liveries, £4 per bale delivered to their bay. It’s been that price for about 15 years! Had to buy some in a couple of years ago, what a shock to the system that was having to pay as much as £7-8 per bale!??‍♀️