Hay Prices

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I think I would struggle to find 2019 hay now.

2020 I paid £3 a bale, off the field.

Quite late to be buying hay now so I can only access big square bales at £35.

exracehorse

Visit site
Square bales a whopping 6 quid each. Round bales practically all sold out locally. So buying haylage. At 40 pounds a round

TGM

Visit site
My supplier has just told me small bale hay is going up to £7 a bale from 1st March! Have ordered as much as I can to arrive before that date and thankfully only have one on hay!

pixie

Visit site
oh gods, I've got loads of small bales in my shed. What with homeschooling; I'm just too lazy to get on with the hassle of advertising :eek: Anyone near York looking for some small bales? ;)
Also, £7/bale?! I charge half that!

dorsetladette

Visit site
I'm paying £45 for a large round bale of hay. It's lasting 2 weeks so I'm happy with that. We got some small bales to tide us over at £5 a bale, really lovely smelling hay, but full of sheep poo and really short.

exracehorse

Visit site
If we have a good harvest this year ... will the prices go back down again though ? As, whenever there has been a hike, they never do.

jnb

Visit site
I have 2019 hay in the barn, I panic bought last May as we had that hot spell, the 2019 was fantastic stuff so I bought 50 extra, we are still using them now & it's still cracking soft meadow hay - £4.50 a bale and still £4.50 as I am topping up next week with 30 more for summer - 2020 hay.
My supplier looks after his loyal customers & 2020 was the first price rise in about 7 years.

chaps89

Visit site
4ft round bales are £35 delivered, though it's £5 delivery if it's just 1 bale on it's own. Same supplier sells the small bales for £4.50 still. Hey is ok which suits mine perfectly, I don't need super nice stuff and I haven't yet had any bad bales from them.

Another supplier is £30 for the 4 string rectangles but they aren't very reliable and are difficult to deal with and I had a few bad bales with them.
Another supplier is £40 for the same size, nicer hay but equally difficult to deal with.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Locally small bales have gone up from £6 a bale before Christmas to £7 a bale in January. The farm I’m on is selling 6 string at £75 a bale but although nice hay it’s quite dusty and some bales have a lot of stones in them. Our normal hay supplier isn’t supplying us at all at the moment.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Locally small bales have gone up from £6 a bale before Christmas to £7 a bale in January. The farm I’m on is selling 6 string at £75 a bale but although nice hay it’s quite dusty and some bales have a lot of stones in them. Our normal hay supplier isn’t supplying us at all at the moment.
Did you have Bernard supplying you before? I used to have him at the old place but not the new. I heard he got covid and stopped doing deliveries.
I got 30 small bales delivered yesterday, at £7/bale, it looks quite nice although I haven't opened any yet as got a few days of my old round bale left.
I've found all hay to be very short this year.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
oh gods, I've got loads of small bales in my shed. What with homeschooling; I'm just too lazy to get on with the hassle of advertising :eek: Anyone near York looking for some small bales? ;)
Also, £7/bale?! I charge half that!
This is one of the reasons I hope OH does get the York posting.

I’m currently in Surrey and luckily have a good hay supplier at £5.50 but our local feed store is selling small bales at £7.70

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Did you have Bernard supplying you before? I used to have him at the old place but not the new. I heard he got covid and stopped doing deliveries.
I got 30 small bales delivered yesterday, at £7/bale, it looks quite nice although I haven't opened any yet as got a few days of my old round bale left.
I've found all hay to be very short this year.

Yes he was a bit hit and miss this year anyway and then yes I think he and his family have been sadly affected by Covid.

I’ve bought the big yard bales as I soak it anyway except field hay and my old boy is having haylage at the moment.

chocolategirl

Visit site
If we have a good harvest this year ... will the prices go back down again though ? As, whenever there has been a hike, they never do.
My hay has been £4 per bale for the last 15 plus years. We make it ourselves, sell to the liveries, that’s delivered to their ‘door’, no worry about messy cars or sourcing? it’s very difficult to make good quality hay in this country, hence the switch to haylage for a lot of people I guess? I’m always very stressed till it’s all made and put away? I could make more selling it to outsiders, but it’s such a valuable commodity I prefer to keep it just for us and make a bit less money ?