Hay Prices

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
If we have a good harvest this year ... will the prices go back down again though ? As, whenever there has been a hike, they never do.
We make hay and sell some. Nearly every year the price of imputs goes up, diesel. machinary parts, that sort of thing. Small bales are made ourselves but have to have a lot of man handling and we are not getting any younger. Large rounds we have to get a contractor to bale and wrap, his prices go up so ours have to as well. We wrap our large bales as the customers we have do not have indoor storage and it enables them to store them outside.

So yes once the price has gone up we do not drop it again, it only goes up when it has to. The grass itself is one of the least costly parts of the whole process.

chocolategirl

Visit site
We make hay and sell some. Nearly every year the price of imputs goes up, diesel. machinary parts, that sort of thing. Small bales are made ourselves but have to have a lot of man handling and we are not getting any younger. Large rounds we have to get a contractor to bale and wrap, his prices go up so ours have to as well. We wrap our large bales as the customers we have do not have indoor storage and it enables them to store them outside.

So yes once the price has gone up we do not drop it again, it only goes up when it has to. The grass itself is one of the least costly parts of the whole process.
Those who buy it almost never take these factors into account sadly ?

Wishfilly

Visit site
I mostly pay for adlib hay from my yard owner- but had to buy some small bales last week- £4.85, which I thought was pretty reasonable. I know another feedstore locally is selling very good quality meadow hay for £5 a small bale. (In Cornwall).

exracehorse

Visit site

perfectly understand your comments. But last years hay was 32.50 for a round bale. Because there is a shortage, it’s gone upto 50.00. Which we’re having to pay as no choice. As the hay was cut etc 2020 there haven’t been any additional costs. The farmers have hiked the price as they know they will sell it. So.. If when it’s cut again 2021 my query is will it go down to say 40 quid a bale in line with inflation or go up to 60 pounds?

skint1

Visit site
Cripes, our supplier put his prices for small bale hay up to £5.00 and people thought that was steep, I think we will be extra nice to him as it seems we are getting a pretty sweet deal (it's 2020 hay) He brings it to us in small batches because we haven't got much storage.

chocolategirl

Visit site
perfectly understand your comments. But last years hay was 32.50 for a round bale. Because there is a shortage, it’s gone upto 50.00. Which we’re having to pay as no choice. As the hay was cut etc 2020 there haven’t been any additional costs. The farmers have hiked the price as they know they will sell it. So.. If when it’s cut again 2021 my query is will it go down to say 40 quid a bale in line with inflation or go up to 60 pounds?
It comes down to a ‘supply and demand’ situation doesn’t it?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
4' hay or haylage bales delivered for £25. He comes twice a week. Other supplier cones daily with small hay bales for £3.50. Price hasn't gone up on the small bales for the last 6 years.