Hay re placer

melissa1971

Visit site
Hi all, my hay is not very good this year so im thinking along the lines of adding a hay replacer alongside the hay so I can get away with not giving so much of it..so I have good doers and they will have a small feed of fast fibre when they first come in with a vit/min supplement in,

So what could I give them alongside a small haynet later on Im wondering about fast fibre hi fi mollasses free and speedi beet??? would that work and what quantities would I need to feed a 15hh a 13hh and a 12hh..thanks all advice welcome.

TGM

Visit site
Can you get some small bale haylage to supplement your hay with? That will almost certainly work out cheaper than using bucket feeds.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Agree with TGM. As an owner of a horse who could not cope with hay, I certainly wouldn't suggest feeding a hay replacer unless absolutely necessary as it is very costly.

For example, my horse was 14hh and as a total hay replacer she required 2% of her bodyweight in the form of a fibre replacement. This worked out to 7.7kg. I know you have mentioned that you are only hoping to supplement the hay you already have but for 3 horses all of different sizes, you will be hugely increasing your feed bill.