Hay? #winterworriesinsummer

Lintel

Visit site
Has everyones farmers cut hay this year?

Rather concerned as mine hasn't, but I can't imagine there is going to be too much of a shortage this year surely?

#winterworriesinsummer.

Reactions: DD

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
just, it got baled yesterday
we've made hay august bank holiday before now and it was fine ;).
The person who makes ours usually has our spare as we have limited storage and didn't want it as he's got too much already so no, no shortage likely this year.

TPO

Visit site
After the Highland Show is usually hay making time up here. Although last year it didnt grow after Beast from the East and then scorching temps and the past few "summers" it has been really wet.

I have noticed a lot of hay fields being cut for haylage the past few years. I guess that's safer for the farmers to guarantee a crop.

Most of the hay is in around us which is just as well since even more heavy rain forecast from tomorrow.

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mines being baled right now! I went down to see but took my old dog with me and it was just too hot for her so left them too it. This is the latest we have done it.

Britestar

Visit site
Its rained everyday here so mines not cut. Neighbour did hers early. Its not the best.

Traditionally here its not cut for another week.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We’re on second cut silage and first cuts of hay and haylage round here. Hopefully they’ll be second cuts in September. Masses and masses of grass, so lots of lovely hay has been made.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
After the Highland Show is usually hay making time up here. Although last year it didnt grow after Beast from the East and then scorching temps and the past few "summers" it has been really wet.

I have noticed a lot of hay fields being cut for haylage the past few years. I guess that's safer for the farmers to guarantee a crop.

Most of the hay is in around us which is just as well since even more heavy rain forecast from tomorrow.

I did wonder that as ours in somerset so rather a long way south than the OP!

dominobrown

Visit site
We have had a bumper harvest this year. 🙌 last year it rotted on the fields, and you couldn't buy it for love nor money. Already bought most of this winters supply for nearly half the price of last years... 😊 last winter was horrific and we even made some of our own.
Don't worry , everyone up north has made plenty to spare this year.

DD

Visit site
no we haven't made our hay yet. We prefer hay made in July or early August for horses made any earlier and it can be too sugary with less lignin in it. ETA its also better for wildlife and wild flowers to make it later, allows the plants to set seed. Always after 21st July.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
^^^DD, I agree that later cut hay is often better for equines. We have to fit in with the people who make our hay, though, and once the school holidays start they are often not available at short notice to make hay. So we try and get it made early July if there’s a suitable weather window.

Peter7917

Visit site
I have seen plenty of adverts for hay off the field for around £3 a bale which is much better than last year where everywhere seemed to be £5 a bale.