Hay

16hh Tb mare

Visit site
Hi all, just out of curiosity I’m just wondering as im getting a 16hh warmblood x TB in about month and I’m moving to a yard that currently has no turn out at the Minuit as there getting thier fields sorted and my horse will be living in 24/7 for the time being, how many small hay-bales do u use a week and how many haynets does your horse have in the day and through the night considering mine will be in 24/7 day and night

be positive

Visit site
Why is it going to take a month to get fields sorted? if I were buying a new horse I would want to get it out at least part time from day 1 and would not move to a yard that cannot provide any turn out at this time of year, they should have allowed somewhere for the horses to get out if whatever they are doing is going to take so long, that does not answer your question which would be feed as much as it wants probably a bale each day and try to exercise twice a day while on 24/7 stabling.

16hh Tb mare

Visit site
no Im getting a horse in about a month, there not sure when it’s going to be ready and they have a paddock that we can take the horse in and let free to have a run around, and it’s the only yard local to me, I just want a rough idea of how many haynets I would have to make and put in the stable throught the day and at night.

16hh Tb mare

Visit site
It’s only temporary, and it’s not for certain yet I have been looking at other places but they seem to be quite far from me as this one is only 15mins journey and because I don’t drive it will be hard to get transport early in the morning before work

windand rain

Visit site
Temporary is fine but these things tend to drag on and iit certainly will not be a suitable lifestyle for the horse long term

lamlyn2012

Visit site
What are they doing with the paddock which makes them unsure when it will be ready?
I wouldn't want mine to be in all the time, especially this time of year. You will need to excercise daily. Not an ideal situation when getting to bond with a new horse.
As others have said, probably a bale per day.

16hh Tb mare

Visit site
Temporary is fine but these things tend to drag on and iit certainly will not be a suitable lifestyle for the horse long term

They did say to me it’s will definitely be sorted they just can’t tell me when as they don’t want to say a time when it will be ready because they don’t want me to move to the yard and not be happy and have to change again

16hh Tb mare

Visit site
What are they doing with the paddock which makes them unsure when it will be ready?
I wouldn't want mine to be in all the time, especially this time of year. You will need to excercise daily. Not an ideal situation when getting to bond with a new horse.
As others have said, probably a bale per day.

It’s not the paddock it’s the field and I have no clue what they are doing all they said is the fields aren’t ready yet but they definitely will be at some point, as I said before to the other members they have a turn out paddock so I can let my horse free for abit and they still have riding arenas so I can excercise her and the only thing that worries me is her not having any grass to graze on for the mean time but everywhere else is too far for me to travel

be positive

Visit site
It’s only temporary, and it’s not for certain yet I have been looking at other places but they seem to be quite far from me as this one is only 15mins journey and because I don’t drive it will be hard to get transport early in the morning before work

It may be temporary but if you are getting the horse in a month and they know that it does not explain why they cannot get the fields sorted in that time, I would be concerned that they are playing you and once you are there you will find more restrictions as the winter sets in.

It really is not the best way to start with a new horse, speaking from many years of experience unless the horse is used to being in and you have time to exercise morning and evening 7 days a week you may be setting yourself up for a tricky start with a fresh, frustrated horse when you are wanting to get to know each other.

16hh Tb mare

Visit site
It may be temporary but if you are getting the horse in a month and they know that it does not explain why they cannot get the fields sorted in that time, I would be concerned that they are playing you and once you are there you will find more restrictions as the winter sets in.

It really is not the best way to start with a new horse, speaking from many years of experience unless the horse is used to being in and you have time to exercise morning and evening 7 days a week you may be setting yourself up for a tricky start with a fresh, frustrated horse when you are wanting to get to know each other.

I suppose what your saying is right, I’m just stuck because everywhere else is like a 45-1hr journey :(

be positive

Visit site
I find it hard to imagine anywhere in the UK that is an hours drive from several reasonable yards, could you leave her where she is on full or grass livery and go and ride as much as you can until this place is ready, I have done this with one or two I have sold to help ease the new owner in or honour holidays.

16hh Tb mare

Visit site
I wouldn’t say it takes that long if it doesn’t iv been non stop looking, i had this other yard I rang that’s close but they are full, I don’t drive so a bus journey to yards around me take about 45mins which I can’t do because I start work at 7, I’ll have to call them in a few weeks and see if there fields are ready and No i cant because she is 2hr 30m away.

16hh Tb mare

Visit site
Just because i don’t drive that’s not gonna stop me getting a horse but thanks for the opinion, I haven’t said im going to that yard at all I said I’m still looking around and that I will call them in a few weeks

16hh Tb mare

Visit site
But if u actually read my other comments u would of sore that some people made me change my mind on certain things. I didn’t ask for opinions on the yard all I asked was how much hay would I possibly go through and how many haynets seems reasonable throughout the day and night.

be positive

Visit site
If you don’t drive and have no suitable yards close by, I would put off horse ownership until these two issues are resolved...

The more I have read the more I am thinking the same, at this time of year it is usually fairly easy to do the horse in daylight, stay fairly clean and get to work leaving the horse in the field, come winter it will be far harder to fit everything in, unless you can have it on full or part livery I would be giving it serious thought before taking the final step.
I am not one who usually picks up on threads in this way but the OP was a very basic question that I would expect someone with enough experience to take on a horse and cope with it living in 24/7 to not have to ask, forage freely available is normally going to be advised and for a horse that size a bale may suffice.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
But if u actually read my other comments u would of sore that some people made me change my mind on certain things. I didn’t ask for opinions on the yard all I asked was how much hay would I possibly go through and how many haynets seems reasonable throughout the day and night.

No, to be fair your question was obviously about how much hay. But hopefully posters raising concerns about your proposed yard will make you rethink your plans.

No yard worth its salt would be preventing turnout at this time of year. One field means no alternative space for turning out at times of field maintenance. It also means you’ll have no winter turnout (I can guarantee). Owning a horse needs careful planning and thinking ahead.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I can only presume the OP is in central London... or outer space.

Like everybody else, I wouldn't countenance keeping a horse with no turnout. I'm also not convinced you'll be exercising the horse before work at 7 - if you are, for extra the travelling time, you could have the horse at a decent yard and only work it in the evenings...