Haylage advice pls

daisydog

Visit site
Looking for advice on haylage please, not fed it in years. the stuff I have is very dry. Horse is approx 600kg not sure how much I should be giving. I gave him a standard 7.5 kg net tonight. He’s out from 7am till 4 pm lots of grass left and had a decent feed in the evening.

daisydog

Visit site
I read online for a 600kg horse you would feed 2% of their body weight which would be 12kg and part of that 12kg is feed aswell so if I were to go by that I need to up the weight to 10kg and 2kg feed.... I think🤔

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I read online for a 600kg horse you would feed 2% of their body weight which would be 12kg and part of that 12kg is feed aswell so if I were to go by that I need to up the weight to 10kg and 2kg feed.... I think🤔

The percentage figure is dry weight. That means you have to allow for all the water in what you are feeding and increase the amount. Even dry haylage will be as much as 30% water.

You should, to prevent ulcers, feed so that the horse has scraps left in the morning. If it puts on weight, mix with straw or increase the exercise.