Haylage - How much of it should I feed?

CastleMouse

Visit site
I was given a few bags of haylage today by a friend, and I was thinking about using it over the Winter as it can reduce the amount of hay you feed by up to 50%. I would obviously introduce gradually into Castle's diet, but how should it be fed? And is it worth it? He is 13hh, cob-like build, who is just the right weight for his type, will be stabled at night and turned out during the day as he will be given a hunter clip. He will be exercised 5/6 days a week and hunted or hunter trialled every weekend. Any help appreciated
smile.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
If he's anything like my cob (lives of thin air) then he won't need haylage. Haylage also has rather unfortunate effects on Sparks digestive system (complete intollerant to it). Haylage needs to be used with in a few days (you get away with 5 if its cold, but only lasts a couple of days in warmer weather), so difficult to get through with only one horse. Unless your horse needs haylage for health reasons either dietary/respiratory. you are probably better sticking with hay, cost less and horse can eat more, which is a more natural way of eating and makes those long winter nights less boring!!

kerrylou123

Visit site
i used to use horse hage, and feed 2 sections am and pm as one if mine has a dust allergy! Have now found the art of steaming hay, which is much cheaper, and just as effective!

Ravenwood

Visit site
I fed haylage all last winter with two horses doing about the same amount of work as yours by the sound of it, but they are stabled pretty much 24/7 during the winter. I buy a small round bale for £20 (about the equivalent of 8 small bales of hay) and it would last about 10 days to 2 weeks for 2 horses. I fed it the same as hay - generally full haynet morning and night and top up if needed. The plastic wrapping was taken off by the guy who delivered it to check that each bale was okay. I never had trouble with it going off but was always very careful to check for any white bits.

Both horses looked fantastic all winter, one has slight wind problem and this was improved dramitcally. I found that I fed much less hard feed and will definately being doing the same this winter. I thoroughly recommend it.

parsley

Visit site
I feed the big round bales of haylage through the winter to my two on an adlib basis. A 13.2 cob and a big 16.2 one get through a bale in 1.5 - 2 weeks. It was quite dryish and seemed to last OK this long. They were turned out 24/7 with no real grass in thier field and were fed once a day with concentrates