Haylage question

Cragrat

Visit site
I'm thinking about next winter already (sorry!).

It might be a 'piece of string' question, but how long will a big bale of haylage stay fresh for once opened?

I'm guessing that warmer winters are going to reduce the time, and I will probably only have 2 x 16.3 horses to feed. (But maybe 3- the old girl seems to just keep going, like a creaky gate😄). I can't afford small bale haylage, but I'm fed with trying to get decent hay and then having to steam or soak it.

Is it realistic to consider getting big bale haylage? Am I right in thinking that the drier the haylage is, the longer it will last? What else should I consider? Thank you!

Crackerz

Visit site
I use a big square bale in 6 days with my 3 (15hh, 13.2hh & 14hh) All 3 are fed adlib all winter. I would say our bales personally would probably last 10 days open, it varies slightly :)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I have 2 x 16.2h horses & a large bale lasts around 10 days depending on weather I keep them in at any time as obviously they eat more haylage when in. The haylage is fine & I've never had a bale go off.

lindsay1993

Visit site
Depends on the quality of the haylage. We have 3 16.2 horses, 2 are in foal and a little 11.2 welshie. They go through a round large bale in about 4 or 5 days. They are fed ad-lib at night and are out during the day. We get them from the farmer next door and they are usually great, however, we do get the odd one that doesn't smell very nice or has mud or a bit of mould in. The farmer just takes it for his cows and brings us another. I read somewhere that they can eat the white mould with no problems but once it's black then they can't have it. We don't take the risk though and send it back anyway. Our old hunter boy is very fussy with it though. He will only eat haylage from the middle of the bale! No idea why as they others eat it regardless.

9tails

Visit site
My bales are approx 125 - 150kg. They last a lot longer if I strip it right down and give it a fluff but I generally get through one in 10-14 days for one big horse.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've started this winter using big round bales. I've been obsessive in the past about it going off before I use it so just haven't but having an extra horse this winter I gave some a go.
I've been really impressed that it's lasting ages once opened. A good 10 days-2 weeks. I'm a definite Haylage convert

Cragrat

Visit site
Thank you all, it seems I'm buying haylage for next winter then��

Just hoping some of the extra cost will be offset by reduced hard feed bills��

eggs

Visit site
Definitely worth getting the big bales - during winter they always seem to last longer than you are advised they will. I've been given different advice by different suppliers - some say to remove all the wrapping once you have opened a bale and others say not to .....

Unfortunately I am feeding nine so I never have the issue of a big bale being open for long!

PorkChop

Visit site
The drier the haylage the longer they will last imo. I would get rid of anything left after 2 weeks, but find they stay fresh nicely for up to ten days.

WelshD

Visit site
I have two small ponies and a small flock of livestock and a large bale of haylage lasts us about three weeks, its always stayed perfectly useable during that time

I wouldn't risk it as the weather warms up though, in a few weeks time I will move on to small bales of hay until the autumn