Haylage sending pony loopy - anyone else?

Solo1

Visit site
Recently moved to new yard for a few reasons. However price is more than double the last livery and mum's feeling it! Thankfully forage is included in the livery otherwise we couldn't do it! As it is we've had to make some adjustments.

Pony is a total hoover when it comes to food, eats anything and everything. Had hay that every other horse has refused etc. However she just won't eat this new batch of hay and it's baffling! It smells fine, and others are eating it okay (apart from a couple). Tried her soaked, unsoaked, and though she's chubby she's getting nothing in the field until they're moved to summer paddocks and was standing all night not touching her hay. So we've moved her to haylage which she devours. It's in a trickle net which cuts down the amount we can feed somewhat.

However, my usually cheeky but laid back 4 y.o has turned into a total whizzy pony. Bit more bolshy to lead and lunge but nothing major, but riding is crazy! She just trots everywhere at 100mph and never runs out of energy, it's mad. I'm actually looking forwards to when she goes out 24/7....

Anyone else found haylage does this?

TGM

Visit site
Have fed haylage to all of mine without it sending them loopy at all - however all live out and are in regular and consistent work.

Haylage varies enormously according to the type of grass used and when it the grass is cut. Early cut rye grass haylage can be high in sugars and have a similar effect to spring grass on some horses. If you can't change to a late cut, high fibre, low sugar variety, then try mixing the hay with haylage in the same net. Start with more haylage than hay, then slowly change the proportions to more hay than haylage.