Hayledge storage, sheds?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Afternoon,

Unfortunately, like many folks this year I have ended up with round bale hayledge this year instead of hay :(

I usually have hay which I store outside the stables covered by tarps, however I don't think this is going to work with the hayledge as I won't be using it quick enough.

Problems are that I have no storage at all, no where I can open the hayledge & spread it out so it doesn't heat up :eek:

Have been thinking of getting either a wooden, metal or poly tunnel type shed to put it in so it can be dry but am worried about over heating & ventilation?

Does anyone have any experience with using a shed to store big bale hayledge in? Is wood/metal/canvas better?!

Maoam pinballs to all :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Along those lines, we keep ours in a 10x10 field shelter that we had doors put on. They roll in easily, we made a floor of pallets with grass mats over the top. It works superbly and they don't go off, although our haylage seems to be pretty dry anyway.. For the shelter (which is boarded out with kick boards and great quality) we paid £800. We've used it for five years so far..

With metal you may get condensation, and unless you live somewhere really sheltered, surely a poly tunnel would fly off!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Weeee, flying hayledge shed :D

My hayledge should be pretty dry, was only 1 say off being hay but had to be wrapped as rain was due.

Good idea about pallets & matting, and good point about condensation on metal, didn't think of that!