Haynet shopping help

Annagain

Visit site
It’s just a haynet, buying one should be easy, right? If it is then I’m a total numpty.

YO has said no more using hay bars as they produce too much waste (we pay £2 a day for ad lib haylage). I’ve only used haynets in the summer and for travelling in the past so have small holed ones to keep him busy for longer. The problem is, I don’t want to slow him down over the winter, he’s always eaten his haylage freely and doesn’t have a problem with his weight.

I’ve been trying to find a large holed, large haynet and I’m really struggling. All the large holed ones ones seem to be small, and all the big ones seem to have small holes! I hate filling haynets so don’t want to fill two or three a night if I can’t help it and would rather one big one.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on one?

gallopingby

Visit site
Shires do them I think, but only every use them for travelling now. I hate hay nets, seen too many problems with them over the years and can be an accident waiting to happen! Couldn't YO be persuaded that a net cover in hay bar would work just as well?

Annagain

Visit site
Shires do them I think, but only every use them for travelling now. I hate hay nets, seen too many problems with them over the years and can be an accident waiting to happen! Couldn't YO be persuaded that a net cover in hay bar would work just as well?
Possibly. I didn’t know you could get them! Any idea where you can get them from please?

meleeka

Visit site
I’d be wary of using haynets with large holes from a safety point of view. The Shires black/red ones are huge and the holes aren’t too small, but small enough not to get feet caught in.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The size of the holes is largely irrelevant (sorry all you trickle feeder types...), it's the weight of the hay inside that is important.

Louby

Visit site
I use the Shires large holed ones, I think they are 40 or 42 inch. My horse can have ad lib so I stuff it as much as I can lol. She gets peed off with small holed and basically gives up!

Annagain

Visit site
I use the Shires large holed ones, I think they are 40 or 42 inch. My horse can have ad lib so I stuff it as much as I can lol. She gets peed off with small holed and basically gives up!

I think Arch will. He loves a treat but he’s not very food orientated overall so I want to make it as easy as possible for him.