He fell over again, I'm really worried now

Nari

Visit site
In fact frightened would probably be a better word, I've been crying on & of all eevning.

I posted a thread a few days ago "Any ideas? Or coincidence?" describing some problems I'd had with Jim lately. Sorry but I don't know how to do links. After the all clear from the vet - apart from an ongoing front foot lameness - I was feeling much happier. Then I went to catch him this afternoon for the farrier, he came cantering over & went wobbly & fell again
frown.gif
. When he got up I shouted him to stand until I could get to him, took his miracle collar off, had a quick look then let him walk with me to the gate. He seemed fine. I warned my farrier, who'd come over when he'd heard me shout, but he was fine to shoe.

I called the vet again & said what had happened & she said she'd come & do x-rays of his neck & feet next Wednesday (sooner if he falls again). She dismissed the farrier's idea that the collar may be part of the problem - he thought maybe when he flings his head up & starts cantering in a show off way maybe the collar is exerting pressure as if he were cribbing causing him to either have a panic attack or almost faint. I don't know about that but it does seem that both times he's been better as soon as the collar is off.

YO has electrified as much of the fence as possible tonight & we're going to get more tape & batteries tomorrow to finish the job. That way he can be turned out without a collar since teh vet says he's better off out. 'm afraid he'll only get turned out when I'm there to watch him (I don't work) because the thought of him falling and maybe getting hurt with no-one there to help or calm him terrifies me & he'll be booted too.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this but if anyone else has had a similar experience I'd like to hear. I'm imagining things like wobblers (9yo ID) or cancer & I can't face losing him. PLease, any supprt or ideas would be great right now.

Going to get some more tissues.

dozzie

Visit site
Wobblers is unlikely. he would not necessarily fall with wobblers but would be unsteady turning, walking etc and would struggle to run. The symptoms would be more continuous so dont panic. It would be much more continuous rather than sudden as you are describing, if you understand what I am getting at. I honestly think you would be describing something far worse if it was wobblers but im not a vet so cant be sure but i have seen it.

Have you considered something like an inner ear infection that could affect balance, as this is a possibility.

I think your biggest worry at the moment is to protect him from hurting himself through falling until you find out what is causing it.

Good luck. At least you have got the vet coming which is all you can do but dont worry! It wont help! I know. easier said than done. OK do worry a bit. But I honestly dont think it sounds like wobblers if this helps.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Lordy, you poor thing! I saw your post the other day too.

No concrete ideas but I'm wondering if you are right about the collar cos it sounds a bit like he's going light headed to me. We used to have a terrier that if she got too excited, she would cough and fall down, jump up virtually straight away and act giddy. The vets put it down to her cutting off her airway, so it does sound a bit similar doesn't it? She did a lot later,(years) go on to have some fits although they never lasted long and they certainly weren't the reason for her death years later.(I'm not trying to frighten you, just telling you what happened with her)
It will be interesting to see (in a nice way) whether it happens again when he's not wearing a collar.
Hope you get him sorted out, it's very worrying.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
I echo what DM and MFH say. What a terrible worry for you but it really does NOT sound like wobblers. With wobblers he would lose co-ordination and be high stepping, almost as if he is walking on hot coals and cant remember which leg to put down first. He would fall over if walked blindfolded in a tight circle (please do not attempt to do this).

Perhaps your farrier and MFH have a very good point regarding the collar.

Please try not to worry. Sending positive vibes to you and Jim. Do let us know how you get on with the vet. X

Nari

Visit site
Thank you so much, I just checked on here before going up to turn him out for a few hours.

It's reassuring to know you all think it doesn't sound like wobbler, that at least is one big worry that is eased a bit because the rest of the time he seems absolutely fine & far from being high-stepping he has a fairly lollopy(not a proper word I know) stride that is deceptively large & very economical. Llwyncwn there's no way I'd try blindfolding him & walking him in a circle, the blindfold alone would probably give him a nervous breakdown!!!

It's reassuring to hear other people wouldn't discount the collar. He is a panicker & dislikes head pressure (noseband & browbands have to be loose & leads on a loose rope) so something like that could effect.

Dozziesmummy I'll run the idea of an ear infection past the vet, thank you for the idea.

He'll be booted up to go out today & have a turnout on, not that a rug is much protection. Slightest sign of running around & he's in! I'll have nice clean shiney tack by next Wednesday & so may everyone else on the yard - well I've got to do something while I keep an eye on him so I may as well be useful.

Thank you all so much for replying.

Nari

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ahh, sorry just read the post again a little more slowly. I would put money on the collar causing the collapses - probably restricing the amount of oxygen.

Good luck, hope you've found the cause and will be well from now on.

Perissa

Visit site
One simple (but not conclusive) test you could do is have someone lead him walking in a straight line. Have someone else hold his tail and as he is walking gently pull his tail off to the side to unbalance him. An 'abnormal' response would be to stagger.

I have a horse on full livery with me who faints, he's had every test known to science and apart fro a slight heart murmour (sp?) they can't find anything wrong. He's been with me since September and so far has fainted twice in my presence. Obviously I don't know how many times - if at all - he has fainted without me knowing. Have to admit it is VERY alarming when it happens.

JGKJ

Visit site
My elderly pony had alot of problems with his balance that came on very quickly. It used to happen when ever he turned to scratch himself or shook his head, he would go all of his balance, wobble and fall over. And to be honest the vets had no idea what was causing it...it did go after a few months. Completely useless information but just to let you know i kind of undertand what you must be feeling.

P.s The amount of times i suggested to the vet about some kind of 'middle ear' infection, but unless your horse has got symptoms other than falling over, they just seem to dismiss it! But because of the age of your horse i know vets will be much for inclined to get to the bottom of it, they werent with Kelly, they just put it down to old age, obviously that wasnt it, not in my opinion.

Nari

Visit site
Well no falling over in the time I watched him today, despite lots of running around, bucking & general lunacy. I did try to catch him when I needed to go & buy fencing but I never stood a chance - he'd happily come for a cuddle but if I had a headcollar he was off like a shot! I couldn't even catch him at his normal time, instead I had to wait until some of the others were brought in - normally I'd be annoyed but today I didn't mind as long as he didn't fall over
smile.gif

I'll still get him x-rayed on Wednesday but I really hope that it is just the collar.

Nari

Visit site
Thanks Kaleigh_and_rocky - I just re-read my last post & realised I didn't say that he went out without the collar today. My brain is totally scrambled today, stress is NOT good for me!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Having had a wobbler this doesn't sound like it.
I would remove that miracle collar forthwith even if you keep the horse in a small electric fenced padock.
if the symptoms disappear you have the solution.
Have you had a McTimoney person check him over?

MagicMelon

Visit site
What about narcolepsy? Basically it is known as the "fainting disease" which does sound a bit like what your horses is doing. Although Im not sure if they develop that over time or are born with it? People can develop it at any age so I guess horses could too?

Tim Stockdales got one, apparently it collapses (falls asleep) in the stable but if its concentrating (like while being ridden) its fine.

Maybe worth asking your vet?

Nari

Visit site
MagicMelon I'll look into that, though it would seem a bit odd that he falls asleep when he starts charging around! Mind you a lot of people think he's a bit odd generally!

Chunklovescooks I'm hoping it's not anything like that. He's colicked twice in the last three months & obviously both times the vet has listened to his heart & not commented on there being a problem. I'm guessing if there was a heart murmer it would show up even more if he was colicking?

So far no-one has seen anymore falling over incidents so fingers crossed it was linked to the collar. I'm still worrying that the vet will find something terrible though - even by his standards he's getting spoilt rotten at the moment.

Nari

Visit site
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply
smile.gif

The vet came today & took x-rays of his neck, feet, pasterns, fetlocks & hocks. Nothing was found that would explain his falls
grin.gif
so I've got the all clear to start riding him again. I can't prove it but I think the collar maybe was the cause, combined with a drama queen personality
tongue.gif
. I've seen him charging round the field this week without a slip, stumble or wobble despite some truly impressive bucks & leaps - getting on again could be "interesting" - so although the vet thinks the collar was unlikely to cause the falls I'm going with that theory, as are other people who know him.

At least I now know his neck, feet & hocks are all good
grin.gif

Nari

Visit site
I just thought I'd update this thread since I know there was another person having similar problems & I'd like her to know what happened with us.

Following the x-rays I started to ride again but to me he still didn't feel quite right & occassionally he'd look slightly odd for a stride or two in the field. No dramatic falls & not unsound, more just weak & with a hitch in his step at times. So feeling like total pest I called the vets & asked for a specific vet who's seen him in the past to come & look - made it very clear it was NOT a slight to the other vet who had been excellent, just I needed a fresh pair of eyes. Needless to say he acted like a total ill-mannered lout (in the way that only a bored stiff ID who's fed up of being poked & prodded can) but part way through a tantrum she saw the hitch I meant & reckoned his stifle was locking. Finally, a diagnosis! I still think the collar was also a factor - he hasn't worn it since & never will do again.

What followed was a work programme to get him moving from behind & muscled up again. To begin with he was very weak & so I did a fair bit in hand but he's strengthened up fairly quickly & is now starting to work nicely again. He's had a few moments but overall has come back into work a lot more calmly than I'd expected (my expectations were pretty low though!) & now he's working again his temper & manners have imoroved no end. I've got my sweet quirky carthorse back again
grin.gif

Thank you so much to those of you who took the trouble to post supportive encouraging replies on this & my other thread. I really appreciated them & it gave me something to hold on to when I was so worried.

Hornby

Visit site
Thanks for the updates, I'm glad they are both feeling better....just shows from an outsider's viewpoint what a wide range of issues we find with our horses.. thanks for sharing it with us as I did not know that this could even happen with a horse.