Head light recommendations please

peanut

Visit site
The one I had a few years ago cost a fortune in batteries so I gave up on it and have been using a rechargeable torch. However I quite like the idea of them and I saw someone recently who had a really powerful one with a green light on the headband at the back which made me think I might try one again.

Are there any reasonably economical to run but powerful enough head lights available please?

Shooting Star

Visit site
I need one as well, rechargeable and bright. I have no lighting at all unfortunately.

We don’t have power at the yard either and large acerage with woodland so properly dark, you can get the ones above with up to 30k lumins of light, they’re so bright everything around the periphery goes pitch black which takes a bit of getting used to and have to be careful not to look directly at people or horses as you blind them! They also have a red light to the rear so visible from all directions

Fruitcake

Visit site
I have a Petzl one- it’s really bright. It takes 3 AAA batteries. I bought some rechargeable ones and just charge them overnight a couple of times a week in the winter.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I bought a cheap one from eBay and have to say it’s amazingly good. I was a bit annoyed to find it didn’t come with batteries and needed very expensive odd size ones but it’s rechargeable and very bright.
In fact I had a horse a bit colicky last night and duh it out to go do a check before bed on him in the dark and it was still charged from last winter!
I can find out the brand but it’s in my car!

kimberleigh

Visit site
Got mine off ebay for 13 quid inc postage. Adjustable brightness, adjustable beam width, and some mad 'blinking light' setting haha.

Charger for car and mains included too

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I'd look for something that's waterproof (at least rainproof), has a red rear light and has at least two brightness modes, and that has swappable batteries and a recharge circuit.

I got a couple of these about a year ago, there's a similar one on Amazon.co.uk. Similar, in that they both use a Cree T6 LED at the front, but mine has two red lamps at the front, too (better night vision, while being just enough to see by when walking).

Mine has a red lamp on the battery pack at the back, the one on Amazon UK looks a bit greenish.

Both of them run on a pair of 18650 batteries that you can recharge in the battery box, or can easily remove to swap batteries in the field. I think that you can usually replace a single 18650 battery with two CR123 batteries (at least, my Fenix torch works like that); CR123s are not quite as easy to find as AA and AAA sizes, but are still widespread.

Molasses

Visit site
decathlon ones are brill, bright enough to go trail running in the dark and most importantly for me usb rechargeable so i can charge at off the laptop and don't have to remember batteries!