Head nodding/banging whilst ridden?

sassyequine

Visit site
I have had a new 7 yr old thoroughbred mare for 3 weeks now. Successfully SJ'd at the weekend round British Novice, hacks out great etc. However on the flat she has a very strong habit of nodding her head the minute you pick up any contact however light. I have exhausted all my ideas including teeth, all tack and soundness. She doesnt do it warming up for SJ if you dont ask her to work in an outline. She only does it when you ask for roundness. If you let her work long and low she will happily without doing it. After about 20 mins of pretty strong and continous nodding (think nodding dog) she will give up and work pretty well. If you then change pace or direction it temporarily starts.
All ideas, or previous experience of this welcome?
Many thanks

MissMillie

Visit site
I think this would count as the horse being a mild head shaker.
Thats all i can think of anyway. Usually happens when they're stressed, so she must become stressed when you ask for a contact, and you mentioned she then settles, so i'm guessing she becomes more relaxed and that equals no head shaking.

Dont quote me on it though!
smile.gif

daretodream

www.mukuruhorseshow.giving.officelive.com
Hi

Flash was/is a head shaker, when i first got him he done it all the time, under saddle or in the stable, i found with time that the more relaxed he got, the less he done it, he now only does it when hes stressed or frustrated!

i took him on a 15 mile hack on boxin day and he didnt do it once

i can sympathise with you as i know how annoying it is but it does get better with time

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I agree it is probably a case of mild headshaking.
My last horse was a mild headshaker and we found that he did it a lot less if he wore a flymask over his bridle when out riding.
Theres a similar one to the one we used on robinsons - search for "fly mask", and it is the "net relief-riding mask".
Not sure how/why it worked but it might be worth a go.
Good luck.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Sounds like shoe is bridle lame and is using it as an excuse to not work through taking the contact properly! keep your hands still, try a neck strap and hold your hands on it so you know they are still, keep your legs on and push her through it as bridle lameness is rude! it could be head shaking but the fact she only odes i when you take u a contact suggests bridle lameness over head shaking.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
My boy did that a bit when I first got him and changed his bit to a snaffle - he was avoiding working, and he would shake his head then if you pushed him he would do a stupid spanish walk thing and snort at you but if you kep on he got on with it and he soon learned to stop doing it - took about 4-5 months.

daretodream

www.mukuruhorseshow.giving.officelive.com
[ QUOTE ]
I agree it is probably a case of mild headshaking.
My last horse was a mild headshaker and we found that he did it a lot less if he wore a flymask over his bridle when out riding.
Theres a similar one to the one we used on robinsons - search for "fly mask", and it is the "net relief-riding mask".
Not sure how/why it worked but it might be worth a go.
Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is because some type of headshaking is caused by hayfever, the netting reduces the effects of hayfever (ive done a lot of research on headshaking because flash done it so often when i got him, i didnt try the fly mask but apparently it does work if your horse has hayfever)

sassyequine

Visit site
Thanks for all these replies. My instructor Richard Waygood agrees with the bridle lameness comments, particularly as she takes a few lame steps in front when it is really at its worst. These stop when the head banging stops.

I am just a little paranoid it could be more sinister as I have lost two 4 year olds in the space of 2 years through lameness that started off as something small! Hopefully as she gets stronger and accepts the contact it will improve!