Head Problem

Wooleysmum

Visit site
My friends Highland mare has started doing something stupid. I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this. Walking out is no problem, in the school no problem at any pace. We go into the woods walking is fine. trouble starts at trot and worse at canter. She throws her head from side to side and its worsens the faster she goes. it is not head shaking as its not up and down. Also she bucks.It makes no difference if she is in front or behind. Friend has had the teeth, tack and back checked. Is it pure excitment or naughtiness or what. The pony is well schooled and has been ok up till the last few rides.She has had it for two years. The mare is ina pelham.My boy is a good boy whilst this lark is going on!

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I would say it was excitement maybe brought on by the autumn flush of high fructin grass. It might be that she needs to amend her diet slightly at this time of year, take her out and keep her going forward and energetic, but obviously not hammering her to the point of fatigue, do some lateral work whilst out riding, this normally brings the horse back into refocusing on the rider. Lightly lunging may take out some of the initial fizz.
hope this helps
Dawn

Visit site
Not comfy! Could it be some insects in the ears if it occurs only in the woods and perhaps going faster than walk makes the irritates the ears more. But that does not explain the bucking, does it? Poor horse.

Parkranger

Visit site
My boy does this when he gets excited.....I have to relieve the rein pressure and he comes back to me.....sometimes you just want to pull back but it's not always the best way!