Head rubbing as soon as bridle's on? Sensitive head? Micklem bridle?

fuze

Visit site
Quick question :) Once tacked up, my boy rubs his head. A lot. On anything.

I've had horses in the past who've done it when untacked, sweaty, etc, but with him it's virtually as soon as the bridle is on? He's fine being ridden, but as soon as he's stood still he's trying to rub on something. Stable door, mounting block, fences, gates (that I'm trying to open / close!) out hacking. He does it regardless of bitted / bitless / cavesson noseband / grackle noseband / no noseband. I'm starting to wonder if he's a bit of a sensitive one? He doesn't do it in headcollars, only bridles.

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth looking into a Micklem bridle or maybe other options? Anyone have any experiences?

mandwhy

Visit site
He might be sensitive around the poll, you could try a poll guard? Cheap thing to try! Or it might be pinching his ears but if its different bridles you've tried it may not be the fit... My mare has a wide head and the browband on a full is often too small so pulls the headpiece and ear area a bit too tight.

POLLDARK

Visit site
As others have said make sure nothing is rubbing or too tight. None of my horses just take a standard bridle but have to have mix & match ie bigger/smaller browband or shorter/longer cheekpieces, nosebands etc.

fuze

Visit site
I don't think the browband is too tight, but I'll double check that next time I put it on. He's a 14.2 cob, but has a very broad / wide head so he's in a full size with the cheekpieces cranked to the top holes. He was due a new bridle anyway, so I bought him a comfort one with a padded poll. It doesn't seem to have made a difference.

He doesn't seem unhappy and he's fine when we're moving, but this hooking himself over fences (lost a noseband that way) and spending 20 minutes trying to open a gate with him pushing it back to is getting a little tiresome! :rolleyes:

oldjumper

Visit site
If you could borrow one, I would give the Micklem a try. They are very expensive so a bit of a gamble until you are sure. I've had spectacular results using on one horse but another didn't seem to notice the difference! Amongst it's other advantages, the Micklem has a cut back head piece which might solve the problem with yours if it's existing bridle touches the back of it's ears.

deoni

Visit site
Hi, mine used to shake her head and would stop dead if we were walking to rub her head on her legs etc. Tried other bridles, but then got the Micklem and it stopped both! :) I really like them!

Orls

Visit site
My horse rubs his head like mad when we're finished riding too. Nothing looks too tight to me, I started researching the Micklem bridle to see if it would make a difference. I was very interested to read that the traditional bridle/noseband arrangement can put pressure on sensitive facial nerves actually causing numbness to the muzzle and nose and apparently this is why horses rub their faces after work. The sceptic in me thinks this is just part of the Micklem sales pitch as of course we have all been coping fine with the traditional style bridles for generations, but part of me is desperate to try one and see what it's like. It's super expensive if it makes no difference though! I think I might just treat myself anyway and neglect to tell hubby about that one!

deoni

Visit site
My horse rubs his head like mad when we're finished riding too. Nothing looks too tight to me, I started researching the Micklem bridle to see if it would make a difference. I was very interested to read that the traditional bridle/noseband arrangement can put pressure on sensitive facial nerves actually causing numbness to the muzzle and nose and apparently this is why horses rub their faces after work. The sceptic in me thinks this is just part of the Micklem sales pitch as of course we have all been coping fine with the traditional style bridles for generations, but part of me is desperate to try one and see what it's like. It's super expensive if it makes no difference though! I think I might just treat myself anyway and neglect to tell hubby about that one!

Honestly I was skeptical but my horse would shake her head the whole ride and stop and rub her face. We tried padded bridles etc even diferent bits, but it did stop when we got the micklem! I went for it as lots of people had positive reviews. I would recommend it but I couldn't get it to fit for ages, sizing is funny! :p

Orls

Visit site
I would recommend it but I couldn't get it to fit for ages, sizing is funny! :p

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread here ....

Thanks for this recommendation Deoni! What's strange about the sizing? I've read from a lot of reviews other people have had trouble getting the fitting right too. Is it just that they're made small so should I buy a size up, or is it just that it takes practise to put on and fit it correctly?

deoni

Visit site
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread here ....

Thanks for this recommendation Deoni! What's strange about the sizing? I've read from a lot of reviews other people have had trouble getting the fitting right too. Is it just that they're made small so should I buy a size up, or is it just that it takes practise to put on and fit it correctly?

I made a few threads on it when i was struggling with pics, if you click on my posts! Basically I bought the small horse/cob one I think as she has a small tb head, but none of it did up at all! So swapped it for a standard horse (I think) and while some bits were as tight as they could go, the 'throatlash' would barely do up! I punched another hole in it and it has stretched so is 2 holes tighter now. It was OK though as I just sent the first one back :)

fuze

Visit site
Does he do it in a headcollar? Just an idea, may not be bridle per se, perhaps bit? Have you tried bridle on with no bit?

He doesn't in a headcollar, but he does it regardless of bit. I've tried changing bits, bitless (Dr Cook), changing nosebands, padded poll bridles - no difference. In fact he was doing it in a lunge cavesson last night (lightweight webbing cavesson, the ones that have the rings sewn to the nose, no real metal work and no browband). I did read up about the Micklem and about nerve placement in the face leading to numbness etc, but it seems odd that it extends to a lunge cavesson aswell?

There doesn't seem to have any sore bits / problems / anything that looks wrong round his face... I tried having a mooch in his ears but couldn't see much past the fluff :eek: His teeth were done in Jan, so shouldn't be any problems there either.

Is this just a habit? :confused: