Head shaking and snatching - Allergic to pollen?

GG80

Visit site
Don't often post here, more of a lurker but need some advice re the above.

Have only had my boy for 8 months, and haven't therefore been through a spring/summer season yet. The last week or so when out hacking he has started throwing his head right up and then putting it right down to the floor again, and snorting and/or rubbing his nose on his legs. Occasionally he snatches at the bit and then shakes his head which is all good and well until he does it when trotting at which point he nearly throws me off balance depending on how bad he does it. I've noticed he only does it when going through tracks which have a lot of angelica, and midges about, so guessing that is what is irritating my poor boy.

Obviously I want him to enjoy the hack as much as me, not be a chore for him because he is constantly irritated, if you all agree that he could be allergic to pollen etc, what is the best thing I can do for him to make him comfortable? I thought of maybe one of those nets that attaches to the nose band, but want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice :) Sorry it is so long!

be positive

Visit site
It certainly sounds like a reaction to pollen especially as it has only just started, my horse is similar he is always ridden in a nosenet and is best if exercised in the morning when the pollen count is lower, if the pollen is really bad a full face net is sometimes required.

Mrs G

Visit site
A nose net is worth a try - although my horse found it even more annoying then the pollen/midges - but it does seem to help some horses. Also, you could try smearing Vaseline round his nostrils which is supposed to help 'catch' the pollen x

GG80

Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies :)

Will try the Vaseline option and get him a nosenet too - Hope that makes him more comfortable, he is pretty tolerable of most things so can't see him finding it too annoying, though his first thought will probably be 'can I eat it'!! x

JillA

Visit site
Some people find anti histamines such as ceterezine (cheap from Pharmacy First) help, but some people find antihistamines make them head shake or flick, mine did, it seems to vary from one horse to another. You could try some ceterezine (Piriteze) to see if it helps.

thistledonicely

Visit site
All great suggestions :) My mare is a seasonal headshaker and I have found nose nets, a face mask and vaseline round the nostrils - sometimes all at once! - significantly improves things for her. I might sound obvious, and I apologise if you've already thought of it, but watch out if you're using vaseline on a sunny day without a nose net as it can accelerate burning from the sun.

GG80

Visit site
Thanks for your advice, will give all a try and see what works best, perhaps even all at once if needs be to make him comfortable :)

thistledonicely

Visit site
Nose net and vaseline do help but I have noticed a marked improvement since using a micklem bridle

Hi tls - do you mind me asking if you horse headshakes seasonally? Or all year round? I'd really like to try the Micklem but since my mare is absolutely symptom free from Oct-Mar/Apr I wasn't sure whether it would make much difference... The only way to know is to try I guess, but I'd be interested to hear anyone's feedback.

lurcherlu

Visit site
This is the first time mines head shaken 5 years old now but riding in afternoons seems worse and when u can see the pollen . What nets does everyone use and recommend

Burnttoast

Visit site
With mine it seems to be mostly midges bumping into him - so it's seasonal but doesn't seem to be directly related to pollen. Presumably a hypersensitivity thing. He will do it occasionally with winter gnats too. Full face mask best, sometimes with a nose net underneath (I use Le Mieux comfort shield and the equilibrium nose net). Vaseline doesn't seem to make any difference. When he's bad I have to ride v. early, before the midges get up. I want one of those full nose bag type nets that aerborn used to make but apparently they aren't available any more :(

Morag4

Visit site
With mine it seems to be mostly midges bumping into him - so it's seasonal but doesn't seem to be directly related to pollen. Presumably a hypersensitivity thing. He will do it occasionally with winter gnats too. Full face mask best, sometimes with a nose net underneath (I use Le Mieux comfort shield and the equilibrium nose net). Vaseline doesn't seem to make any difference. When he's bad I have to ride v. early, before the midges get up. I want one of those full nose bag type nets that aerborn used to make but apparently they aren't available any more :(

Have a look at this vid for full nose...
http://youtu.be/rRcTl3HGdSY

Visit site
Echo everyone who says get him a nosenet. I highly recommend the Equilibrium ones. Been using them for the past 8 years and they aren't the cheapest but are good quality and you get three nets in each pack. Also, I feed mine Global Herbs Pollen-ex supplement in the summer as this helps with the hay fever like symptoms (runny eyes and nose etc) I use the syrup version though as a lot of horses do not like the powder version - it smells like curry!

vmac66

Visit site
My boy has pollen allergies, he wears a fly mask 24 7 and has antihistamines every day, 80p a pack from B and M. I have a madk for riding in that attaches to his bridlr but have found that he is ok for a bit without a mask for ridden work.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
We use a Cashel Quiet Ride full face mask for riding on our mare and have also just swapped to a Micklem bridle which seems to help.

fredflop

Visit site
If you use the equilibrium nose net, put a flash on. They have a tendancy of flapping about if it's even slightly breezy, a flash helps keep it in place. (It doesn't have to be tight!)