Head tossing... help please

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Hi Guys

Recently my mare has been playing with the bit...quite extremely. She's started to cross her jaw and stick her tounge under the bit (which she corrects herself) this often results in her tossing her head/ foaming alot and generally ripping the reins from my hand. She will then in some sense lock her jaw and stick her head up in the air (which I might add- nearly wacking me in the face) I ride her through it and she does work really well in the end. When I first bought her (8 months ago) she had been out of work all winter and ust to the "sticking her head up in the air thing" (in which I rode her through it and this totally stopped with fitness and training)

I asked my friend to sit on her for me so I could see what she was doing from the ground. She didnt look like she was in any pain/discomfort and did generally look like she was taking the mick a bit.

She can be quite difficult sometimes- in this I mean she's a typical ginger mare :D and likes things her own way. She's quite an experienced dressage/ eventer.

It has only started happening literally the past week. Her work load has increased the past 2 weeks or so, Ive been putting it down to her maybe feeling a little sore/tired/fitness where ive increased her work.

I tried a flash but that didnt work. She is due her teeth doing, so could be that too. She's just had her back done also. She doesnt display any type of dis-comfort and is generally a happy, cheeky horse.

O and to add- her feed has increased and changed also. She was only on chaff in the summer months but is now on midlands, calm and condition and nuts.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this before?!

Im due to start regular lessons with a new trainer soon- so will bring this up with her too and see what she thinks about it.

Chocolate ecclairs for anyone who got to the end :D