Head v heart

elijahasgal

Visit site
Excuse me for typing this, many conflicting thoughts crossing my mind, and seeing what other people think, see if I can get resoloution. I am leaning more one way than the other at mo.

I have been quietly breeding one or two youngsters a year for the last 11 years.
I am awful at being very very attached to some, planning to keep them, and knowing where all bar two that I bred are now. (At mo I still own 4(!) but two are for sale)
That said, I bred my best mare to a prooven stallion (Has produced many really good horses, but isnt widly known) The resultant filly was so stunning, I used the same one again twice, with two cracking colts.
I always planned on keeping my girl, and her to be next generation broodmare. She has been out with youngsters, and is super with the babies......actually a magnet for them.
I took her to the futurity as a 2yo, along with her younger full brother.
She got a high first, he got elite. (3rd full sibling has gone as potential stallion to a professional home)
So I have invested a lot, and she has gone off to proove herself. not yet been to a show, but really good at home and getting ready to go out. The yard are saying they think she may well have international potential.
So I went down to see her. They all know my love for her, and that she is there to proove herself and no more.
She is loving the work, and my plan was to cover her with one of their stallions next year (Or for first foal do I get a late covering this?!!) and bring her home and use her as a broodie with some cracking stallions.

So that said, when I go see her, they mention in passing that there has been a rather decent offer on her. they didnt tell me at the time, as they know what she means to me. That said if I decide to sell, I am sure that they would find someone easily, as she wasnt even for sale!

Now the do I dont I sell.
I want to breed on in the future. If I accept the offer, I could buy a decently bred mare in, pay off everything I owe, and still have change.
People keep saying to me that I could always cross mare to stallion again, and get another filly. But it wouldnt be 1)her, 2) guaranteed filly (I seem to breed more colts than fillys, (ratio 4:8) My foal this year would be staying if it was a filly.

down side of keeping her, debts not clear this year (I have a VERY nice colt who should clear them on sale in next year or two) No guarantee that she will pass on the right stuff, unlike her dam. She wont be able to go out and proove herself as well as she could, as she seems to be loving.

Plus side for me, is heart, mare I know can do the job, debt free. I can buy something with good bloodlines, but it may not be able to do the job. May not pass on the right stuff.

Alternatly I have the thought of well, I could syndicate her, and keep her competing.
Or that I could do an embryo transfer from her, so keep her line going. and sell her (But would want a filly again, and with my luck.......)

Any ideas people, how do you all see it?

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'd sell her. If she loves being in work and enjoys ridden life then that would be all I would need to sway me from keeping her in the breeding shed at such a young age.

I have a 2 year old who is very similar. I am incredibly attached to her. She's a beautiful, nicely put together girl and is 'special'. I have thought long and hard about whether to keep her and breed from her ... but ... she's two. She is absolutely dying to go out; she adores being taken down to the arena to play and cavort around and when I take anyone out of her field, she's the first one there really wanting to come out. She'll love being backed and riding out and she's bred to do a good level of competition, so my head tells me that it would be grossly unfair of me to keep her here as just a riding horse/future broodmare when I know she really wants to do other things.

hayinamanger

Visit site
The best time to sell a horse is when somebody wants to buy it. I know a couple of people who turned down good offers for horses who, for one reason or another, failed to live up to the owner's expectations and they had to swallow the loss.

On the other hand, I completely understand your attachment to her. Only you can make the decision, but being able to continue breeding good horses without the financial worries would be a big incentive to sell her.

Hope you make the right decision.

koeffee

Visit site
SELL!!! If you have a good offer on the table and its clears things then sell, could go in the field tomorrow and break a leg?!!

DonkeyClub

Visit site
Sell!! And ask to take an embryo transfer off her if you wish...( have heard that some vets are now having 100% success rate?
Also you've got her dam, to breed another..