Headcollar for turnout?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
What is best for leaving on during turnout - a leather headcollar or a proper Fieldsafe one?

I'm not bothered about either getting grubby and wrecked being out 24/7 in mud and rain, I just want to make sure I'm using the safest option.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Another vote for leather...I have bought one that was webbing with a leather headpiece which I thought would be good..use it in trailer at the moment.

keeperscottage

Visit site
Several years ago, I had to rescue my companion pony whose headcollar was caught on a gate - she was in a panic and I was sure she was going to break her neck! What I do now, is use a normal nylon headcollar, but OH removed one of the metal rings - the one nearest the buckle - and I threaded a cable tie through where the ring used to be. I've also used baling twine, but "divided" it as I think the full thickness is a bit too strong and might not break easily if she was caught up somewhere. This method works really well and I've used it for years. Cable ties are the easiest to feed back through the holes where the metal ring originally was - baling twine can be a bit fiddly!

Queenbee

Visit site
I would get an old standard webbing headcollar, and instead of fixing it normally, run a thread of bailing twine through the hole on the headstall and tie to the buckle area... that way it will work like a field safe and you can replace the twine as needed.