Headcollar update/review type thing!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I just thought that I'd update on this, just incase anyone else is on the lookout for a new synthetic headcollar. :)

In the end I went for the Cottage Craft adjustable one with buckles on the poll strap, throat lash and on the top of the nose. I got it in navy and I actually went for full size so that the noseband can be opened out for when the horses have their teeth done. I found it for £14.45 (vio vet) which I think was a reasonable price. NB, when I clicked on the navy option, the photo showed the headcollar in royal blue. The navy is darker (;)) but a nice blue IMO.

Royal blue with the old gold logo.
image_import_1426665867.jpg

I have bought one of these previously and they aren't exactly the same. The new one has a different logo (doesn't bother me one way or the other) which is black and says 'Cottage' rather than the gold 'Cottage Craft' logo on the old one. The webbing that it is made from is different though. They seem to be the same thickness, but the new one is definitely much softer and more pliable. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing yet. These headcollars are very adjustable, which I like very much. The full size goes plenty small enough for Mr seahorse head as the poll strap has eight eyeleted holes.

All in all, a nice headcollar for someone who wants lots of adjustability or doesn't want a continental pattern headcollar (with the buckle on the nose strap under the chin).

Rollin

Visit site
It looks as if it has brass fittings? The head collars I purchased before we moved to France, 11 years ago, have brass fittings and are still being used. New ones with white metal break easily as do lead ropes clips. I have about four broken ones at the moment. Looks like yours will be more durable.

Whilst on the subject, does anyone know where I can buy an extra-long lead rope, Ride a way have stopped supplying them. So useful for stallions and young stock, my last extra long is now starting to fray.

catkin

Visit site
Whilst on the subject, does anyone know where I can buy an extra-long lead rope, Ride a way have stopped supplying them. So useful for stallions and young stock, my last extra long is now starting to fray.

If you are near a ship's chandlery see if they will splice the ends for you to make whatever length and weight you want.

Shooting Star

Visit site
Ohh, lovely :) I've got one of these, also cottage craft and adjustable on head & nose but a clip on the throat instead of buckles. Came from vio vet too!

They're perfect for everyday use as you can tack up without untying using the nose buckle and groom properly undoing the throat.

I want to get a local harness maker to make me the same in leather, can't stand headcollars that aren't fully adjustable but sadly nowhere seems to sell proper leather ones these days, they're all made to be pretty rather than functional :(

Antw23uk

Visit site
I have one as well but its yonks old and sits in a draw as a back up headcollar. Day to day they wear their leather ones as not a fan of the material ones.