Headshaker

J_sarahd

Visit site
I have noticed my pony starts headshaking when he becomes tired. (I’ve linked it to tiredness because he usually does it once we have done quite a lot of work but we can do more work now before he does it than we could a few weeks ago, if that makes sense).

I don’t have any experience with headshakers and googling it is just bringing up so much information. I just need to know if it’s as bad as google is making it out to be? Can it occur from tiredness? Is there anything I can do to help? Do I need to get the vet out urgently or can I speak to him when he’s coming out for jabs next month?

Michen

Visit site
I would question if it’s pain related and therefore happens when he’s done more, i think I’d start with a full MOT of saddle, physio etc then mention to your vet when he’s out for jabs

J_sarahd

Visit site
He’s just had his saddle checked yesterday and is due physio. Thank you, I’ll mention it to him when he’s out next

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
How old is your pony? Every horse I've ever broken does this at the end of a schooling session to some extent at five and/or six.

Are you working him in one frame for too long at a time? Do you give him a break every ten minutes or so on a long rein?

It doesn't sound like headshaking as non the neurological disease 'headshaking' to me. More like tiredness, especially as it's getting longer before he does it as he gets fitter.

J_sarahd

Visit site
How old is your pony? Every horse I've ever broken does this at the end of a schooling session to some extent at five and/or six.

Are you working him in one frame for too long at a time? Do you give him a break every ten minutes or so on a long rein?

It doesn't sound like headshaking as non the neurological disease 'headshaking' to me. More like tiredness, especially as it's getting longer before he does it as he gets fitter.

He is 6, but a very green 6 year old.

I do give him a break and a stretch as much as possible in the session. He also does it on the way back from a long hack.

This makes me feel better! Thank you

ycbm

Visit site
Every green horse I've ever had has done the same. It usually stops after a couple of months.

I doubt if he's a headshaker. I would give him frequent breaks to stretch his neck and see how it changes things.

pastit

Visit site
I've had two headshakers now, with symptoms that you describe - worse the longer you work them. Both had physical pain in neck or shoulders. It was a matter of finding out where. Hope its not the same for you. Agree that a nose net helps.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Sometimes he doesn’t do it at all. But if we are doing a lot of circles (he’s not very bendy) or lots of transitions, he starts doing it. Or if we are jumping and I’m making him trot to calm down instead of canter. Like I said, the time before it happening (when it does) is becoming longer. Do you recommend getting a vet out, pastit?

Melody Grey

Visit site
Have you had your Physio involved? If it's happening more when schooling, particularly circling it suggests that you might be expecting a little too much physically and that the headshaking is actually the horse trying to stretch out some discomfort? Are you spending a long time working in an outline when the horse may still be a little weak? It doesn't sound like pollen related headshaking to me.

Mister Ted

Visit site
I believe it is pain related. I knew a frequent headshaker,started in the Spring and finished in early Autumn every year.He would even dunk his whole head in the water trough to get relief.! From what I read about the condition which can be caused by breathing in pollen drifting in Spring. It is still unclear but the nerves in the face are affected causing sharp pain spasms around the cheek and eye area.This made sense with the headshaker horse because he would come and push his head onto you but once you stroked certain parts of the face he would sharply draw back and it was almost a sting reaction. It was very wearing for the horse and he would be unhappy until the Autumn then back to his normal self. I wondered if bute would have made a difference. Equilibrum do a nose net which may help to give some relief when out riding. More research needs to be done on this distressing condition.

pastit

Visit site
I think first thing I would do is watch him like a hawk and take notes. When does it start, what rein is he on, what pace, what landing leg after a jump. One of mine was notably worse on one rein on the lunge, but once he started to headshake, both reins were bad. You could try lunging him on a hard surface, just one circle on each rein to see if he's hopping lame on one or the other. Talk to your farrier and your physio. Both can be top notch at seeing things that you might not see because you're with the horse every day. If you have regular physio, does the horse improve for a time after a session and what stiffness does the physo find and where? This is good info for a vet anyway and may help you decide whether he's getting worse or growing out of it as ycbm suggested. Fingers crossed for you.

ycbm

Visit site
Can I just point out that a horse which shakes it's head is not necessarily 'a headshaker'? So we need to get our terms clear before we can offer appropriate advice.

'A headshaker' is usually reserved to describe either headshaking from pain in the nerves of the face or from pollen sensitivity in the nose, (generally seasonal). or an unspecified source but appears consistently.

Other horses may shake their heads intermittently from tiredness, annoyance or pain in other places than face nerves, for example the neck, but those horses aren't usually called 'headshakers'.

It sounds to me that this case is tiredness, since it's getting later the fitter the horse gets and he's exactly the right age for it, , plus occasional annoyance at being made to slow down when he doesn't want to.

OP you also need to log weather conditions. Nerve based headshakers are often worse in cold winds, for example, but pollen based ones often worse in calm dry weather.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
If it's mainly in the manege - and away from pollinating rape (lots of it around right now) then I'd say either a tooth problem or a muscular pain. Horses can still be immature at 7 - too much work on the circle gets tiring and can tweak muscles. They can also still have a displaced cap (you'll usually see more tongue activity or froth with the shaking.) It is a case of watcihng, experimenting with the work you do and how he reacts. He IS trying to tell you something - you have to look and listen to find out what it is before you can take real remedial action. That may be a nosenet, or a good EDT, or a good equine physio - or even something as simple as a change of bit, loosening a noseband or a dozen other possiilities.

J_sarahd

Visit site
I am inclined to think it is as ycbm says. He doesn’t do it on hacks, unless we have done a lot of uphill work. And he does it in all weather.

On the other hand, he isn’t straight in his neck so I would be inclined to think it is possibly discomfort. But he does it equally on both reins, even the “easy” rein.

He doesn’t do it on the lunge, no matter what we do

D66

Visit site
Have you looked for Wolf teeth? My mare would toss her head and evade contact when ridden - eve n with regular dentist checks by well regarded edts a wolf tooth was missed.
You could also check bridle fitting, especially headpiece too close to ears and browband too tight. Might also be worth trialling a Micklem.

J_sarahd

Visit site
He has a micklem, but I will double check the fitting. He did it in all four bridles I’ve had since getting him

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Have you looked for Wolf teeth? My mare would toss her head and evade contact when ridden - eve n with regular dentist checks by well regarded edts a wolf tooth was missed.
You could also check bridle fitting, especially headpiece too close to ears and browband too tight. Might also be worth trialling a Micklem.

Was the missed wolf tooth on the lower jaw - thankfully my EDT found my lad's two. Of course, the symptoms were obvious (tongue over bit.) Even after they were removed - and healed - tongue over bit was still a problem (habit or memories). A Waterford played a big part in persuading im that the bit itself wasn't the cause of the pain he was trying to avoid.

J_sarahd

Visit site
In terms of teeth, he had them checked almost as soon as he arrived as he was putting his tongue over the bit. Nothing spotted, except for a bit sharp. Now, with a micklem and a different bit, he doesn’t put his tongue over the bit, so I’m not sure if teeth is the problem?