Headshaking - any info appreciated

Salcey

Visit site
My 15.3hh MW mare headshakes. She is 7 and is quite green only being broken in 18 months ago. I use an equilibrium nose net on her which does reduce the problem quite a bit. If I don't use the net she tosses her head around, snorts and throws her front legs forward trying to rub her nose, this is even worse if it is raining. She shows no symptoms in the field it is only when she is ridden. It also seems worse in the spring and autumn so I'm not sure if there is a relation with her being in season and her behaviour. In every other way she is fantastic.
My reason for posting this is that often feel I am the only one who has this problem so I would welcome any advice or experiences from others.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
No your not the only one, this seems to becoming more common now, it could be pollen or fructon related due to the time of year she is worse. there is obviously somesort of irritation going on there, which is exasberated when ridden maybe because the vessels ect opening more, It might be worth checking her diet, and looking for some herbal supplement that will help with this. Using a nose net at all times may be the option.
vet maybe able to tube her to have a look or take blood test to see what allegies she has. if any. Are you stabled near rape fields? sometimes this sets of horses with allergic type reactions.
A Tb I used to ride used to do this to avoid going on the contact or work? after a lot of patience and perseverance she does not do it anymore. changing the bit helped also.
It could be many things but you are not alone.
hope this has helped a bit
regards
Dawn

cloang

New User
Visit site
My daughters pony used to head shake a lot when we first got her, she also seemed to itch on her nose and face and was forever rubbing.

We had a McTimmory practioner out for her back and she showed me some very simple excercises to do for her sinuses which I do at least once a day.

This has made a huge difference with hardly any headshaking, although she still rubs her nose in her stable.

Might help you too

kjpattingham

Visit site
Hi, I don't know if you're interested but Prof Derek Knottenbelt (world expert on headshaking) is shortly starting a trial at Liverpool into a new natural therapy approach for headshaking. Inclusion on the trial is by veterinary referral, but don't worry your horse won't need to travel to Liverpool. Anyone interested should ask their vet to contact Dr Shaun McKane at Liverpool for details. Look out in H&H shortly for more details. Cheers, K.