Headshaking

Tegan

Visit site
Hi

My mums pony has started headshking. He is 4 years old and this is his first summer in work. His teeth, saddle etc have been checked so I think it is pollen related as he is particularly bad near the trees and bluebells.

We have beeen given a nose net to try so will give that a go tomorrow but has anyone had any success with any of the supplements?

Thanks
Tegan

welshied

Visit site
I have a severe head shaker to the point of becoming un-rideable eg smaking you in the face with his head, i have tried loads of things but the best thing i found was one of the nose nets along with one of the equillibrium fly nets to cover his eyes and with it being darker it blocks out the sunlight and the combination of the two work well together

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks. It is the equilibrium nose net that we have to try so will see how he gets on with that.

Tegan

golddustsara

Visit site
I am currently trying NAF shake relief, nose net and happinose balm (you can buy it from Boots/Lloyds Pharmacy) - its been raining the last few days so I haven't ridden, but when the sun/pollen is out in full I'll see how it goes.

Other suggestions on here include Piriton (you will need to give a heft amount 8 or 10 I believe) or the vet can prescribe an antihistimine.

I think the main thing is to try lots, so you can whittle down what is actually causing the headshaking... ie: sunlight/flies/pollen/all and treat accordingly. My vet told me one of his patients even wears a police horse mask to stop the sunlight agitating him, so there are solutions for headshaking, it's just a bit of a challenge finding the right solution.